Chapter 4 - Firestar

They were flying over the Sapphire Mountains when a dark shadow blotted out the light of the two full moons. 

Firestar didn't think much of it, as it was probably a cloud . . . Wait. That is so not a cloud. Clouds aren't shaped like dragons -

She screeched in agony as she felt a horrible pain in her tail, at the very tip.

"Opal!! Was that you?! Wait, that's not you, you're in front of -"

She roared as the pain continued to grow. It was spreading along her tail, reaching her body, fast. Opal turned around and widened her eyes.

"FIRESTAR!"

And the last thing she saw was the image of Opal hissing, targeting her tail acid at a mysterious blue - black dragon. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ☾⚝☽ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Firestar opened her eyes to two dragons. She closed her eyes again. She was tired. But some gentle talons shook her shoulders and she growled as someone whispered her name. Firestar reluctantly opened her eyes, frowning as she got up. There was something in her right eye - wait. 

Firestar jumped up from her very undignified position, realising that the dragon that shook her on the shoulders was the same dragon Opal was attacking. She was so angry and panicked that she blasted fire at the oxford blue dragon without thinking. He yelped and ducked before the flames hit his face. Firestar was about to leap, but her instincts told her not to.

Wait, I think he has something to say.

The Nightwing raised his talons and staggered backwards, treading on Opal's foot. He ignored this and kept retreating until he reached the far wall. That was when Firestar noticed her surroundings.

It was beautiful. The walls were a smooth marble, and the floor was the same floor as Moon Bay Library. She looked around the massive room, discovering a crystal chandelier lit by candles. There were only a few pieces of furniture in the room, and that included a large work desk with nothing but a small lantern on it. There was a patch of quilts spread along the right wall, all of them either black, gold or blue. On the floor was a circular rug. The furthest wall had a pretty window with silk curtains, and the window, as far as Firestar could see, lead to the ocean. There was also a honeycomb - pattern shelf that spread from the left wall to the ceiling.

Firestar stopped gazing and spun around to the dark dragon, trying to make an unimpressed face. Wait, I think this is his room, wait, no, Firestar, stop letting your face get all goopy! ARGH.

He finally spoke.

"I - I'm sorry I alerted you, okay? Okay? I'm sorry, I'm sorry, yes, very sorry, so very sorry . . . what the heck am I saying?! . . . Ok."

He cleared his throat and stood up to his full height, and Firestar noticed how . . . not small he was.

"Hi there. I'm Prince Dawnbreaker of the Nightwings." He said it with a hilarious accent and Firestar could tell he was trying not to laugh. "Anyways. So. Hi. Uuum, uuuuummm . . . how are you?"

Firestar made an expression at him like a piece of mouldy cheese that just ate a dragon and randomly turned itself into a pet mouse.

"What are you? An idiot that can't talk in full sentences? I highly doubt the son of the stupid Nightwings," she spat, "is as . . . I dunno, WEIRD? AS YOU? MAYBE? OR MAYBE THAT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE HER SON! YOU INHERITED SOME OF HER IDIOTICNESS! PERHAPS EVEN JUST ONE HUNDREDTH OF IT! Ahh, this makes me feel good."

Dawnbreaker looked at her, his grin still visibly clear on his snout.

"Alright, yes, I am hilarious, yeah, uh huh. So I brought you here to my room because I saw you were being attacked by someone, and you started falling, and if I didn't catch you, you'd die, so you're welcome, so yeah. Also, your friend here hit me on the neck with her awesome acid thing. It hurt and I sorta fell down along with you and -"

Opal stomped hard on his foot, her face a mix of concern and fear.

"DON'T!"

Dawnbreaker cleared his throat, again, and said something to Opal. His voice sounded deeper than it sounded when he was speaking to her. Now Firestar was absolutely sure that something was up. She huffed and walked out of the room, immediately coming back in. The hallway outside was way too bright and long, and guards were stationed at the room entrance and entrances of every other room connected to the corridor.

Holy moons. I'm the idiot. We're in the Nightwing Palace, and I didn't even realise.

Opal came to join Firestar. "Let's leave," she whispered. Firestar nodded suspiciously. They took off down the halls, lucky to not have been stopped by any of the guards. Looking at the giant map of the Nightwing palace in the classrooms, they found their way out.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ☾⚝☽ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The two moons were nearly below the horizon, and the Day Moon was starting to come up the other side. Firestar and Opal were just metres above their home, Amethyst Cove. They could see a faint outline of two dragons pacing around the entrance, and immediately flew down to confront them.

"Who are you?" Firestar demanded, landing with a thump as her talons reached the grassy floor. The two dragons, one a female Icewing, Firestar noticed, and a thin dust orange Skywing. They stopped whatever they were doing and turned to face her.

The Skywing grinned apologetically. "I'm sorry we're invading your front porch. I'm Morganite and my companion is Frost . . . but wait. Are you Firestar? She's our daughter. An Earthwing, I think."

Firestar gasped at this, and widened her eyes. "I - I'm your kid?" No, she thought. "I mean, you guys are my parents?"

"Firestar." The Icewing said wistfully. "Our dragonet."