Chapter 5 - Darkslayer

Queen Darkslayer enjoyed every part of her life right now. She didn't care if all the other dragons in her kingdom hated this way of living, as long as she liked it, that was the way it would go.

"Queen of the Nightwings!"

A dark blue Nightwing came running down the halls, and she felt as if he looked familiar. "Who are you?" She asked suspiciously.

He looked at her with his mouth gaped open in disgust. "I'm your son, Dawnbreaker." He said it in an impatient tone. She looked at him, with the same intense glare, and they stood there in silence for about two heartbeats before Darkslayer questioned, "Why didn't you just call me Mother?"

She watched her weird dragonet as his face showed a variety of different expressions. "Eh . . ."

"So, what was it you called me for . . . Dawnbreaker?"

Dawnbreaker glanced at her, perched on the throne, and hesitated. "I was out, and one of your Deathwings was attacking these dragons. They weren't doing anything wrong, so I decided maybe I should go help them. I did, and he started attacking me, and I fell, and - uh, and I fell, and the light blue one got me, and I said thanks, but the maroon one was unconscious. I took them to my room - she woke up, and we started having a totally - not - arguing - conversation, and she said I was -"

"YOU WHAT WHAT WHAT NOW??"

Dawnbreaker shrank back. "I, uh, think it's best if I leave."

Her son left under her fiery glare. How could I have raised such a stupid dragonet? He's like, I'm guessing, 6 now, so HOW IS HE SO STUPID! DAWNBREAKER! Or should I say, RULEBREAKER! NEVER EVER EVER HELP DRAGONS OUTSIDE YOUR TRIBE! NEVER!

She was seething, smoke billowing out of her mouth and nose. Darkslayer breathed in and out vigorously, not feeling as if it was working. I have an idiot son

She shook her head vigorously, as if trying to clear it from her mind. It worked. Now Darksalyer could actually do her queen job. Which was doing nothing.

I've got the ring, and I'm queen of the continent, so now I just relax. BUT I CAN'T. MY STUPID SON HELPED A RANDOM DRAGON . . .

Darkslayer's mind flashed white as a picture of a fierce - looking Earthwing and a Crystalwing . . . entered her vision. They disappeared within a second, but Darkslayer could already tell that they were the dragons Dawnbreaker helped.

Hmm. An Earthwing. With a Crystalwing friend . . . Crystalwings can read minds. They can change tribes. They can . . . I've got it. I've got to get rid of Crystalwings. They're more powerful than me, and more powerful means dangerous. I can't lose a kingdom like I lost Mother.

And my plan starts now.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ☾⚝☽ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Darkslayer summoned about one fifth of her soldiers, which was also 506 of her soldiers. Yes. She had a lot.

"SOLDIERS! OR GUARDS! WHATEVER!" She yelled.

The sounds of their spears thumping against the cobblestone floors echoed through the kingdom's courtyard. 

She spun around to the general. "General . . . hey, what's your name again?"

"General Starcloud," he replied, and Darkslayer hmphed at the roughness in his voice. "You're talking to your queen here," she retorted.

He ignored her.

"General Starcloud. I order you and your soldiers to find this dragon: she's a Crystalwing, and she has pale blue scales. Yeah, just go find her. And then kill her. It's either her life or yours. Now go. And don't ask me for a starting point; I don't have one."

And she flew off, leaving her poor, clueless soldiers and guards outside in the freezing wind.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ☾⚝☽ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"DAWNBREAKER!"

She tried to make smoke come out of her nostrils like she was super mad, but her son walked in like nothing happened. He leaned against the wall, raising his eyebrows.

"What?"

She glared at him. "Describe your Earthwing and her Crystalwing, so I can give my guards an idea of what they're looking for.

He rolled his eyes, but he reluctantly started: "She's not mine, but . . ." he said something under his breath. "She's like, fierce? And awesome? And I feel like she's an animus? WHOOPS. Anyways. The Crystalwing? She's like, I dunno, sorta quiet? Calm? Also awesome? She's like pale blue and she has a stinger tail and she has a purple sort of crystal - ly membrane, I guess. Can I go now?"

And without waiting for a reply, he left his mother in the throne room with just one new piece of actually useful information.

A maybe animus.

Instead of killing her, making her work for me would be even better, so . . . I got to tell my guards.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ☾⚝☽ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Dude." She swerved in front of her general, forgetting his name again.

"Can you like, not kill either of them? Bring them back to the palace alive, and then go mind your own businesses after that, also, I have an idea, maybe start at Moon Bay Library, because in my vision, I saw them there. Now go."

She watched, with excitement, as her Nightwings and Bloodwing sped away. I'm such a wonderful queen. I taught them how to fly fast. And assassinate dragons. And - countless things.

They'll never fail, and I'm sure of it.