•Chapter 2•

•Chapter 2•

"I guess we have our last team here. Ashley Brown and Casey Scott."

That statement wouldn't stop chanting over and over again in my head, like a litany of praise.

I can't have him as a partner! No, I just can't! He's too much, he's too much for me!

I might be a shadow or a ghost in this school, but I know things that are needed to be known and people especially. I know who Casey is.

Casey is Ridge's Golden boy, he's like their golden egg everyone fascinated and adored, and me, I'm like the non existence constant fart. Pure opposite!

The murmurings I have been waiting for to incite, ignited like a bad force, sending the teacher into yelling "Silent!" Like a mad woman. Decorum instantly took over the class.

I kept quiet, praying in my mind that minutes be rewind and reality be rewritten. Wishing for a miracle somehow. Good Lord, help me. I don't want Casey as my partner.

"Who's Ashley Brown?" Ms Flora just had to ask.

Now I will be forced to stand up or raise up my hand in front of these soul feasting eyes. I can't, I can't, I just can't. So I stay glued to my seat, my head bending down to avoid any suspicions. Thank God nobody knows who I am.

Even the teacher, shocking but I'm thankful.

I can tell she's anticipating for me to stand up. "Ashley Brown please identify yourself and don't make me fish you out." She warned, sounding serious.

She needs to understand that maybe the called pupil is not a people person, that there's too much eyes looking at me right now.

My feet wobbled hard against the floor as I made to identify myself, my breathing becoming loud and shaky. I managed to draw my chair backward rising to my feet with my head remaining lowered. As predicted, all eyes darted on me, I could feel the intensity.

I ignored all of them with mine focused on my wobbling toe. "Ashley Brown?" She asked me to be sure, I gave her a slight nod that looks as if I was forced; I am forced.

"So it's settled. Casey here's your partner, you both can talk later after this class about your project."

Everywhere remained silent, and I'd seriously mount a thousand feet if it'd earn me a listen to their thoughts. My ghost days are surely over, I know it!

A girl that no one has ever seen or heard of in their whole entire life at Ridge High stood up and was partnered with the almighty Casey; how unfortunate for me, and will be surely lucky for some assuming they were in my non fitting position.

I could still feel the whole class's gaze pining over me. I badly wanted to sit down, but the teacher hasn't told me to or give the permission, she herself is still staring at me. If only the ground could help me out and take me as it lunch, swallow me whole and never spit me out again!

"Are you a new student?" Ms Flora asked. Stupid question considering I went to her the moment she became our new English teacher, told her I never wanted to be recognized as the star of her class and she accepted. Now she dares ask this question.

I wanted to reply but my lips were just sealed, too heavy to open. I attempted talking, but no words spouted.

"Ashley!" She called noticing my distress.

Why does she have to partner me up with this guy, assuming I wasn't partnered with a popular guy, no one will wish to know me. The moment she called us together, all they wanted to know is who got lucky enough to be partners with striking Casey.

"Can't she talk, is she deaf or what?" A voice I recognize so well said, I've been waiting for her snarky remark since, I just hope I won't be on her prey list after this class. Delaney is just to be forever avoided, she's that much of a bitch.

"I can't be a partner to this girl ma'am. She looks so dumb." Casey himself hissed angrily, uttering those words.

I just felt like crying and cursing MsFlora for making me his partner.

"Is she sick?" Another from the gathered student asked, his voice coming from the back.

"Or maybe she's toothless." Another one replied, till the whole class erupted in full murmurs about me.

"Silent!" The culprit of this all instructed in a loud voice; Miss Flora, she have no idea how much I hate her now. "Ashley are you okay?" She asked in a voice laced with concern.

I scoffed inwardly, the irony of her concern when she had me in this trouble in the first place, assuming she cared she wouldn't have paired me up with Casey.

She proceeded to touch me, but I flinched before her palm could reach, signaling for her not to. I grabbed my things from the desk, taking an action that surprised me and not just everyone. I dashed out of the class.

My feet juggled down the hallway heading right to my comfort zone, the only place I'm prompt to feeling welcomed and understood, the only place no one has ever bother my mind or conscious, the only place known as the LIBRARY. Note the emphasis.

I got there sinking myself straight to a seat, pulling a book out immediately and shoving my head straight into it.

Scenes from what just happened played itself in my head, reminding me of just how stupid I acted, how embarrassed I am now, I bursted into tears regretting that I hate crowd and too much attention. Why couldn't I talk? Gosh!

"Are you okay?" Someone asked from nowhere, her voice bringing me back to reality. I didn't bother replying her or even raising my head up to look at her, if I don't talk to her or reply her she'd see herself off.

I wiped my face pulling my head away from the book, and finally dwelling my eyes on the word written inside. "Hi." The girl greeted again, trying to gain my attention still.

I rolled my eyes annoyingly, impatiently waiting for her to go away and stop trying to talk to me. If only there's a way to let the whole world knows that "Ashley Brown wants and loves to be alone" then I'd love God more than I already do.

"Hey can't you talk, are you not the one I'm talking to." She smacked away the book I was reading. Well she just have my attention, and she have the wrong one.

"Pick up my book." I ordered, stunned by the very sound of my own voice. Soft, but quite dangerous.

"Didn't know you can talk, and now that I have your attention, can you tell me why you were sniffing earlier? Are you okay? We're you hurt? Hope nothing wrong?-"

"I'm fine please go away." I relayed, moving out of my seat to go get my book.

"Okay okay I'm sorry." She suddenly apologized, going to pick the book before I could reach, and using the opportunity to come sit with me. She gave me back the book stretching out her palm for what? An handshake, she's kidding me.

"I'm Gwen by the way." She gave me a permanent sickening smile, introducing herself.

My gaze peeled off her and straight back to reading. "Hey Gwen, please for the sake of Lord leave me alone. I can't be your friend, just leave me to my sacred peace please."

I expected her to give up and walk away, instead I heard her chuckle. "I am now your friend whether you like it or not. Knowing you won't tell me your name, I settled on calling you Brownie because of your hair color and your eyes, and don't worry, whenever I need your attention so bad, I will be so sure to smack that book off your hand. And right now I need your attention to give me a reply on what I just said." She hijacked the book from me.

Firstly, she's annoying. Then, she's a talkative and refuse to acknowledge my solitude. Lastly, I want her to disappear.

"Murder might be illegal, but sometimes a justification." It a parable of what will happen to her if she doesn't give me back my book right now and leave me the heck alone.

"Good thing I'm immortal."