2

For dinner last night, we had steamed potatoes and rabbit stew. Everly mentioned that we rarely get delicacies like venison. Such meats are only for the lycans. She also said the lycans usually hunt their food, and we hunt ours. The castle has a position specifically for that responsibility.

This morning, we had a hearty bowl of porridge: cooked oats with honey. We were lucky if our bowls contained a few berries. I didn't get any, but Emma shared some of hers. While we ate, Everly, Emma, and Lucy gossiped about the royals while I kept to myself and consumed my meal in peace.

We returned our bowls to a cart down the hall and said farewells. Afterward, I met Grace in the courtyard and was saddened to see her attitude still uninviting. I sighed and took my basket to the furthest corner. Luckily, the courtyard was vast enough to get lost in the flowers and hedges.

It wasn't hard to recall what I did yesterday, so I hummed as I worked. Whenever I got confused, I would retreat to Grace for answers. She had no choice but to help me. As time went on, I eventually finished my duties.

I found Grace and another servant at the fountain fishing lone petals from the water. The wind was brutal today, which made our task of keeping the courtyard clean more difficult. I rolled up my sleeves and started helping.

"Tedious, isn't it?" The girl sighed. "I think this pesky wind is laughing at us."

"I think so, too," I chuckled. The girl snapped her eyes to me and smiled.

"What's your name? I've never seen you before."

"It's Sayora. What about you?"

The girl's face brightened, almost resembling a newly lit candle. "You're so pretty, and your name is equally attractive. I'm Jenny. I think I heard you humming earlier. You have a nice tone."

"Oh, I didn't mean for anyone to hear me."

"It was hard not to. Your voice floats like a soft breeze. I loved whatever tune you were projecting."

My cheeks grew warm. "Thank you."

"We should be friends. How old are—"

"Will you two cut it out," Grace rolled her eyes. "My gosh, stop talking; it's improper. Save your ramblings for later." She stormed away.

"I think Grace hates me," I frowned.

"Don't worry, she hates everyone."

"But why?"

"I don't know," Jenny shrugged. "Grace stalks around all sullenly. She barely talks to anyone and always caters to the rules. I heard she even works closely with Ms. Rita. It's only a rumor, though."

My eyes widened. "Oh. Then maybe we should listen to Grace and work silently." I stopped talking, which encouraged Jenny to do the same.

At today's conclusion, I grabbed my basket, tore off my hat, and hurried to find Grace. Unfortunately, she was nowhere in sight.

**✿❀○❀✿**

"Your hair is so pretty and thick," Everly admired.