4

The princess and I maintained a simple routine that often kept me from completing my duties on time. I grew so accustomed to our arrangement these last few days that any slight deviation confused me—like now.

"I'm here on the princess's behalf. She would like to see you," Axel stated.

"Is she already at the hut?"

"No, Her Royalness is at the training grounds. She sent me to fetch you."

"Will I be back in time to finish my duties?"

"I'm afraid not," Axel replied.

"Can I bring my basket? I'll get scolded if I leave it unattended for too long."

"Yes, you may. I'll carry it for you." Axel reached down to get it, but I stopped him.

"Did you say the training grounds?"

"Yes. It's far from the castle, so our walk will be long and—"

I suddenly gasped and retracted my hand from his arm.

"What was that?" Axel glanced from his arm to my hand, which was now behind my back. "Why did you snatch away so abruptly?"

"I'm not supposed to mingle with the male servants. We could get in trouble for seeming too friendly, so I shouldn't have touched you. It was an honest mistake; I apologize." Axel and I have never spoken more than a greeting until now, but his presence was becoming more familiar. I think that's why I touched him. "Do you forgive me?"

He smiled as he looked me over. "Let's not keep the princess waiting."

"Oh, right." I took my basket. "Thanks, but I can manage."

Axel chuckled as he led me out of the courtyard. I hoped to run into Grace but didn't see her on my way out.

"We have different rules, you know. As a servant who resides in the castle, it's not a crime to show fondness or civility towards our counterparts."

"Oh. I understand, but I don't work inside the castle."

"No, you don't. Not yet, at least."

I stuttered in my step. "Huh? What do you mean?"

"Nothing, don't mind me."

Once we arrived at the training grounds, I couldn't help but voice my awe. "Wow," I mouthed to myself.

"Us servants sit here, out of the way." Axel pointed to the grass, which prompted me to plop down and place my basket between us. We were positioned at the top of a hill, looking down onto a vast stretch of land.

"Today's training is simple; no bloodshed."

"Blood?"

"Yes, lycans can get quite brutal with their training."

"Do they enjoy hurting one another?" I spoke worriedly.

"No, but the violence builds character," he laughed.

My eyes then frantically moved about the space, finding a new target every second. I didn't ask questions, but Axel found it necessary to explain everything to me. He was so helpful in his descriptions. He would point out the different lycans and utter their names ever so slightly. Most were esteemed warriors.

"Over there is the king's beta. His name is Akkar," Axel pointed. "He is ferocious."

"He's huge." I readjusted myself on my knees.

"Yes, and that's Rinly, the king's gamma. She's ranked lower than Akkar but even more ferocious."

"Oh, wow. Can we get closer?"