9

"So, he's the king?" I sat in utter awe, staring at Axel as he stood before me in my quarters.

"How do you feel?"

"I can hardly believe it. The encounter was so rushed, and the darkness made it hard to see anything. However, if I hadn't let my thoughts enchant me, I would've regarded the king sooner and avoided screeching like a flailing pig. I bet every lycan within distance heard me."

"Did His Royalness say anything?"

"He only advised me to be more aware of my surroundings."

"Did you notice anything unusual?" Axel continued.

"No, I don't think so, but I found the king's eyes utterly fascinating. I swear they were like nothing I had ever seen. What's the significance? Are they rare? Why were they red instead of orange like everyone else's?"

I wasn't trying to bombard Axel with questions, but all the information I've acquired has been centuries old. The book I borrowed entails a drawn-out recount of how lycans came to be but doesn't delve into anything else, certainly not specific characteristics. Maybe the next volume will expand to other topics.

"The king is more powerful than any other lycan. The red is to distinguish his authority from the rest."

"Do you know much about him?" I asked, leaning forward.

"No, not really."

"Well, have you ever interacted with the king?"

"No, not leisurely. I've never piqued the king's interest enough to procure his attention. He also isn't known to initiate conversation and often prefers solitude, finding solace in his alone time. I heard he enjoys spending time in his cottage. It's somewhere outside these walls, but I've never seen it."

"Do you know if the king and princess have a strained relationship? The tension between them was uncomfortable to witness."

"It's not my place to say, but there's a reason I stated the princess is closer to the prince."

"Oh," I nodded. "Do you think she's still angry with me?"

"No, she was never angry with you."

"Then why doesn't she want to see me?"

"The princess is sick."

"Sick?" I frowned.

"No, that was a poor choice of words. Lycans don't get sick. I meant to say the princess isn't feeling like herself today. Her spirits are low."

"Because of me?" I insisted.

"No."

"I don't believe you, Axel. Why are you being dishonest?"

Axel huffed as he kept his eyes locked on mine. "Sayora—"

"I'm not trying to be a pain, but I intended to fulfill my duties today, and now it seems I'll be staying in my quarters. Should I apologize again? It's my fault, after all. If I hadn't wandered off, the events following wouldn't have happened."

"No, don't do anything. Just be patient and give the princess a day to collect herself. In the meantime, why don't you visit your friend? The one you speak so much about."

"Everly?" I gasped, standing from my bed.

"Yes, that one. The princess said you could go, but only if a guard accompanies you."

"Okay. I'll wait until later. Everly is likely busy with her duties, and it's improper to consort while working."

"Do as you please, Sayora, but no one will reprimand you. You serve the princess."