Twenty One

"Here we are," Ryan said as he pulled into a parking spot at the small family diner. The first one they were trying since Kam's reaction. "How you doing?"

"I'm a little nervous," she told him, knowing he could read her like a book so lying was no use.

"Do you have your EpiPen?" He asked as she fished through her purse for it.

"I do," she nodded, putting it in an easily accessible spot before showing Ryan.

"Okay. Deep breath and let's go in. If you start to get too worried, we'll cancel and head home," Ryan said, getting a nod from Kam before they both got out of the car.

She took a deep breath as they walked in, sitting at a table and looking over the menu. Everything looked like it would be fine but Kam was still nervous, even though she was determined to get over her new found fear of food.

"Hey, guys. How we doing?" The waitress came over, knowing the 2 of them. They were pretty regular at the little diner.

"Pretty good," Ryan nodded, "You ready?"

"Uh yeah. I'm gonna get the pancake platter. But can you make sure they know I'm allergic to peanuts? So if they could make it on a different pan, that would be great,"

"Yep. I sure will," she nodded, making sure to write 'PEANUT ALLERGY' in big letters on the ticket.

"Thank you," she nodded before looking at Ryan so he could order his.

After their waitress had the orders, she promised to return with their drinks and put the ticket in for their chefs.

"It's gonna be fine Kam," Ryan reassured her, knowing she was nervous about the food. "Your EpiPen is right there,"

"I know," she nodded, really hoping the waitress would tell them about the allergy. No matter how much she wanted to trust the woman, she didn't know her. She could easily just put the ticket up and go back to her job. Or she could tell them.

"Are you overthinking?" Ryan asked, noticing her blank face as he sat across the table.

"Hmm?" She asked, coming back down to earth.

"You're overthinking it," he said as he grabbed both of her hands. "It's going to be fine. We've come here before,"

"I know. I just don't know who to trust anymore,"

"You trust me," he said, knowing exactly how to get her out of her head. "Would I bring you anywhere that we haven't trusted before?"

"No," she shook her head.

"Then you're gonna be fine. Trust me,"

She nodded and waited for their food as she sipped on the orange juice that was set in front of her.

Ryan did the same as both of them waited for the plates of pancakes to show up in front of them.

"Alright. Here you are," the waitress said as she set the plates down. "And I made sure they were on a different pan, no peanut butter pancake either,"

"Thank you so much," Kamdyn smiled at the woman appreciatively.

"No problem. Enjoy," she nodded before walking away.

"Alright. Let's eat," Ryan told her, gently coaxing her into taking a bite.

Kamdyn took a deep breath and gathered a bite of the pancakes on her fork before eating them. When there was no immediate reaction, she continued to eat with a smile.

She finished her plate in record time, enjoying the food that she'd missed. She felt better about the whole thing. She was taking back something that Macey had taken away from her.

Kamdyn smiled throughout the entire drive home but something clicked inside her. She went inside and immediately started to check all of the food inside for nuts before she started getting ingredients out.

"What are you doing Kam?" Ryan asked as he shut the game console off.

"I am making it,"

"It?"

"The chicken chili Mac. I need some kind of redemption," She sighed, looking at him finally.

"Alright. Let's do it," he nodded, proudly watching her put her hair up as she decided to take back her life.

They made the same dish that had sent Kamdyn into the anaphylactic reaction and both sat at the table, taking a fork to the meal.

She slowly took a bite, hoping the same reaction wouldn't bring her to the floor and when it didn't, she ate more.

"This is so good," she smiled, taking another bite before getting another helping. She was back. At least that's what she felt like.

"I know it is," he chuckled, watching as she got her second helping and sat back at their little table.

Ryan was happy to see her back to herself a little bit more like the girl he'd come to love.

Kamdyn just wanted to feel normal again.