3

Minji, Hanni, and Hyein sat opposite Haerin in the dean's office, their expressions calm yet determined as they addressed her.

"Haerin, what you did to Danielle was completely unacceptable," Minji began, her voice steady as she met Haerin's gaze.

Hanni nodded in agreement, her tone gentle yet firm. "We've been friends for a long time, but we can't condone your behavior."

Hyein spoke up too. "I love you unnie, and I don't want you to be punished but you need to take responsibility for your actions. I think what you did earlier was too much unnie"

Haerin's eyes flashed with anger at her friends' words, her jaw clenched as she struggled to contain her emotions.

"I can't believe you're all siding with her," she spat, her voice laced with bitterness.

Minji let out a heavy sigh, attempting to keep her composure, but her efforts proved futile. "Do you even realize what you've done, Haerin?" she questioned, her tone filled with frustration. "Have you seen the situation you've put Danielle through? Do you understand the impact of your actions?" Minji pressed on, her words coming out in a steady stream. "You've been bullying her, Haerin. Even if you weren't directly involved at first, it's clear that you're behind it all. You've been orchestrating others to mistreat Danielle – throwing insults, hurling objects, you ask them to physically hurt her," Minji accused, her voice rising with emotion. "You toyed with her feelings, led her on, and break her heart, all because her mere presence irritates you. And now, we've witnessed you physically hurting her," Minji exclaimed, her anger boiling over.

Hanni held Minji back, sensing her escalating fury, while Hyein restrained Haerin. "Do you have any idea how many scars and bruises Danielle bears because of you, Haerin? How many injuries she's endured?" Minji demanded, her voice laced with rage. "You've inflicted so much pain on her, and yet you have the nerve to accuse us of taking her side? Of course, we stand with her – she's done nothing to deserve this, she's innocent" Minji said.

Haerin let out a scoff, her demeanor unyielding. "Innocent? Do you truly believe I'd resort to such pettiness? There are reasons behind my actions, Minji, reasons you're unaware of," she retorted, her tone devoid of warmth.

Indeed, Haerin hadn't disclosed the truth about Danielle's mother being her father's mistress – the very reason her family had been torn apart.

But Minji's anger persisted. "We're clueless?" she echoed sarcastically. "Yes, because you've shut us out, Haerin! You've kept us at arm's length. Despite that, we stood by you, understanding that perhaps you weren't ready to open up. But if hurting others is your way of coping with your own pain, then count me out. I can't stand by and condone such actions, no matter the justification," Minji declared, her voice tinged more with sorrow than rage.

"That's not who you are, Haerin. You've never been like this before," Minji concluded, her words hanging heavy in the air.

Haerin reached her breaking point. She forcefully freed herself from Hyein's grasp, intent on confronting Minji before any further words were exchanged. However, before she could make a move, the door to the dean's office swung open, revealing the imposing figure of the school dean.

"Ah, Miss Kang, I see you've been joined by your friends," the dean observed, her tone measured as she surveyed the situation unfolding. "Thank you, Minji, Hanni, and Hyein, for bringing this matter to my attention and for choosing not to overlook such behavior. Please, everyone, take a seat."

Haerin's gaze hardened at the dean's entrance, her resentment bubbling just beneath the surface as she met the dean's unwavering stare with defiance.

The dean cleared her throat, commanding the attention of everyone in the room as she directed her words towards Haerin. "Miss Kang, your actions this morning have clearly violated the school's code of conduct," she asserted, her tone unwavering.

Haerin remained silent, her jaw set in a tight line, her resentment palpable as she absorbed the dean's words.

"Therefore," the dean continued, her tone leaving no room for negotiation, "there will be consequences." Her expression hardened as she proceeded to outline the repercussions of Haerin's actions.

"Firstly, you will be suspended from school for two weeks," the dean declared firmly.

Haerin's indifference was evident. She could have been suspended for a month, and it wouldn't have fazed her in the slightest.

"Secondly, as part of your suspension, you will be required to fulfill a community service requirement. One of your community service assignments will involve taking care of Danielle while she's recovering," the dean announced, her tone firm yet tinged with compassion.

Haerin's eyes widened in surprise at the unexpected directive, her initial resistance crumbling into resignation.

"What do you mean by that?" she asked, her disbelief evident.

The dean's response was unwavering. "I believe you understand perfectly well, Ms. Kang," she replied evenly.

Haerin's defiance flared once more. "And what if I refuse to comply? It's not as if you can enforce any serious consequences. After all, my father is still the largest shareholder in this school," she retorted, her frustration evident as the dean's presence grated on her nerves.

The dean's expression tightened, her gaze penetrating through Haerin's facade. "You seem to forget, Ms. Kang, that your father and I are close friends," she reminded, her tone carrying a subtle but firm warning. "While his position may wield influence, it won't shield you from the consequences of your actions. If he were to learn of this, I have no doubt he would be not only disappointed but furious. You and I both know that."

Haerin swallowed hard, acknowledging the truth in the dean's words. If her father discovered her involvement in such misconduct, the repercussions would be severe.

Frustration boiled within her as she rose abruptly, intent on storming out of the room. But before she could make her escape, the dean's voice stopped her in her tracks.

"Today marks the beginning of your punishment, Haerin," the dean's tone carried a firm edge. "Head to the clinic immediately and assist Danielle. Consider this your chance for redemption. However, make no mistake—if you fail to comply, your father will be informed of your actions. And any further mistreatment towards Danielle will result in even harsher consequences."

"Whatever" she replied.

"I'm warning you, Haerin. I'm one step closer into calling your father" she heard the dean say before she finally leave the office. Leaving Minji, Hanni, and Hyein behind.

Minji sighed heavily as she watched Haerin leave, feeling a mixture of frustration and concern. Hanni reached out, gently squeezing her hand in reassurance.

"I'll assign people to keep an eye on Haerin. You can rest assured that we'll monitor her closely, and if a word saying she hurt Danielle reaches me, I'll intervene personally and ensure she faces the consequences," the dean assured them, her tone resolute. "As her friends, I hope you'll also encourage her to find better ways to deal with her issues, without resorting to violence."

The three friends nodded gratefully, expressing their thanks as the dean dismissed them from her office.