5

Once they reached the dean's office, they both settled into the chairs, with Haerin gingerly assisting Danielle to sit down. The Dean observed them intently.

"It's good to see that you're keeping up with what we've agreed, Haerin," the Dean commented. Haerin rolled her eyes in response.

"Well, of course, you threatened me," she said coldly.

Danielle remained quiet on the side.

The Dean sighed. "Well, it turns out I didn't even have to threaten you, Haerin." She looked gravely at Haerin before delivering the news. "Your father found out," she said, locking eyes with Haerin, whose expression slowly widened in shock as she processed the revelation.

"What?! Who told him?" Haerin exclaimed angrily, abruptly standing up from her chair and glaring at the Dean.

"Calm down first, Haerin. You'd better be careful with your actions unless you want additional consequences," the Dean warned firmly. "I didn't tell him, I don't know who did. But he wants you to know something."

Danielle watched cautiously. Although she hadn't met Haerin's father yet, his reputation as a businessman preceded him.

"Is he going to punish me too?" Haerin's voice was laced with anger. The dean responded, "Well, I don't know. Listen to what he instructed me to convey, and you can decide if it's a punishment or not." Haerin scoffed in frustration.

"Why doesn't he tell me directly? Why are you the messenger, and why does she needs to be here?" Haerin's tone was accusatory, her eyes shifting to Danielle. She seemed convinced that her father intended to embarrass her in front of both the Dean and Danielle.

"Well, I'm sure you're aware of your father's busy schedule, Haerin. He's currently in New York for business, unable to meet with you personally. That's why he requested me to relay the message," the Dean explained calmly. Then, she turned to Danielle. "And I asked her to join us because what I'm about to say concerns both of you," she clarified.

Danielle's brows furrowed in concern. Was Haerin's father going to punish her too? But Danielle hadn't done anything to harm Haerin, so why would he?

Haerin glared at the Dean, unable to find the words to express her frustration. Sensing the tension, the Dean spoke again. "Your father wants you to go to New York with Danielle, in two days. Everything will be arranged," she informed them.

Both Danielle and Haerin furrowed their brows in confusion. "What the hell does he want us to do there?" Haerin demanded, her frustration evident in her tone. She no longer bothered to filter her words. Danielle shared Haerin's confusion and wanted to ask the same question.

The Dean sighed heavily. "He wants you to work on something related to his business. Specifically, he wants you to speak with and persuade an important client to invest in your company," she explained.

Haerin's breath caught in her throat. She was livid now. "Why the fuck does he want me to do that? I've made it clear to him that I want nothing to do with his business or any business at all!" Haerin burst out angrily.

"Exactly. He knows you hate it the most, that's why he wants you to do it. It's your punishment, Haerin," the Dean explained sternly. Haerin bristled, ready to retaliate, but the Dean signaled her to stay quiet. "And before you think of sabotaging it, he said that if you fail to convince the client, you'll be sent to live in Canada for the rest of your life, never able to set foot in South Korea again. Those were his exact words," the Dean continued, her tone grave.

Haerin stared in disbelief, at a loss for words due to her father's harsh decision.

She couldn't see any way out of the situation. Haerin could tell her mom, or try to reason with her father, but she knew once he made up his mind, he rarely changed it. Besides, Haerin didn't want to risk sparking another argument between her parents.

Meanwhile, Danielle remained confused. She cleared her throat. "I don't understand, Dean. How am I involved in this?" she asked, seeking clarification.

The Dean realized she hadn't provided all the information yet. "Oh, yeah, I forgot," she began. "You'll be coming with Haerin to New York. He already contacted your father, and he agreed to it," she explained.

Haerin scoffed, feeling frustrated by her father's manipulative games, especially when the truth was already known. He should have contacted Danielle's mother instead, his mistress.

Meanwhile, Danielle sighed. Of course, her father would agree to such a plan. Not that he cared about what would happen to her anyway. But her question remained unanswered. Why did he want her there?

"But I'm still confused, Dean. I mean, I didn't do anything to Haerin. Not that I'm aware of. Why would he punish me too?" she asked, seeking clarification.

The Dean chuckled softly. "He won't punish you, Danielle. Although, if you consider being with Haerin a punishment, then perhaps it is," she remarked, eliciting another scoff from Haerin. "But one of the reasons he wants you there is to personally talk to you," she added.

Haerin's brows furrowed in anger. He wanted to talk to Danielle? Could it be that he would reveal the truth about Danielle's mom and his affair? Haerin felt her rage bubbling up inside her. She wanted to lash out, to hit something. The audacity of her father to discuss his affair with her mother in front of his own daughter.

"I'm sorry, but about what?" Danielle asked, completely unaware of the turmoil brewing in Haerin's mind. The Dean sighed heavily. "I couldn't provide exact information because I don't know the whole story myself. But it's about your mother—" Haerin scoffed loudly, drawing Danielle's concerned gaze. Her heart raced. Was Haerin telling the truth earlier? Did her mom really have an affair with Haerin's dad? The Dean continued, "He said he wanted to clarify something, to clear up misunderstandings," she explained. "Originally, he only wanted to speak with Haerin alone, but given the difficult situations you've been subjected to, he decided to include you as well," she added.

Haerin felt a pang of hurt. So her dad cared about Danielle? But he never cared for her? How could he... She felt tears welling up in her eyes, but she quickly wiped them away before they could fall. She couldn't show weakness, not in front of the Dean, and especially not in front of Danielle.

Taking a deep breath, Danielle composed herself. "You mentioned it's one of the reasons. What else does he want me there for?" she inquired, seeking further clarification.

The Dean adjusted her seat, her gaze shifting between Danielle and Haerin. "Since he can't meet with you immediately due to his hectic schedule, he wants both of you to spend some time together and use that time to clear up misunderstandings between the two of you," she explained, addressing both Haerin and Danielle. Danielle's mouth fell open in disbelief. Spend time with Haerin?

"I was the one who suggested that," the Dean confessed. Haerin shot her a glare, but the Dean remained unfazed. "You see, it came to my knowledge that the two of you used to be close. You used to be lovers," she began, causing Danielle to feel uneasy at the sudden topic. "Spending time together will definitely help you get closer again. As friends. And who knows, maybe as lovers again," the Dean added hopefully.

Danielle looked down, feeling embarrassed. Clearly, whoever informed the Dean about their past relationship had forgotten to mention that Haerin had only been pretending and had toyed with her heart.

She glanced at Haerin, who wore a look of utter disbelief on her face, clearly disgusted with the idea.

The Dean continued speaking. "And while you are there, he wants you to help Haerin prepare proposals to convince the client to invest," she added.

Danielle took some time to process everything before taking a shaky breath. "What about our studies?" she asked.

"Don't worry about it. Both of you will be excused from your classes until the time of your return. It's already been settled; your professors have been informed," the Dean reassured them. Then, she turned to Haerin. "Your sanction is still in effect, Haerin. Take care of Danielle while you're there. Your father also wanted me to convey that he'll have someone monitor your behavior. Any misdeeds and he will know about it. Although I don't know how he'll do it, I suggest you take his words seriously," she concluded firmly.

Both Danielle and Haerin remained silent. With one last look, the Dean dismissed them from her office.