6

Haerin felt obligated to drive Danielle home. So she did.

During the ride, both remained quiet. Danielle was still processing everything, while Haerin navigated the familiar roads toward Danielle's house. She recalled the directions from when she used to drive Danielle home during their time as "girlfriends," all the while struggling to contain her anger.

She couldn't believe her father was putting her through this ordeal. First, he wanted her to get involved in his business. Then, he insisted on her spending quality time with Danielle. Next, he threatened her with exile to Canada if she didn't comply. And now, most frustratingly of all, he wanted to discuss his affair with his mistress.

After more than ten minutes, they arrived at the Marsh residence. Haerin stopped the car in front of the gate.

Glancing at Danielle, Haerin noticed she was staring out the window, seemingly lost in her thoughts, unaware that they had reached their destination.

"Are you going to get out of the car, or are you going to daydream all day?" Haerin asked, her tone harsh.

Danielle snapped back to reality, realizing they were already at her house. She hastily tried to remove her seatbelt, muttering a small "sorry" as she struggled.

Her injured back made it difficult for her to move and remove the seatbelt. She hadn't fully recovered her strength, so her grip was weak, prolonging the process.

Haerin watched in frustration as several minutes passed, and Danielle still hadn't removed the seatbelt. Growing impatient, she took matters into her own hands and harshly and carelessly removed Danielle's seatbelt, accidentally jostling her injured back in the process.

Danielle let out a groan of pain, but Haerin simply glared at her. "Don't act like it hurts that much, Danielle. No one is watching except me. You won't get any sympathy here, so drop the act," she said coldly.

Danielle wanted to argue, feeling indignant at Haerin's accusation of her faking her pain for sympathy. But before she could respond, Haerin didn't give her the chance. She stepped out of the car and moved toward Danielle's side, opening the door. "Get out," she commanded.

With furrowed brows, Danielle carefully stepped out of the car and faced Haerin, her expression filled with anger.

She was about to lash out at Haerin when they were interrupted yet again.

A man wearing black slacks and a long-sleeved polo emerged from the door, catching both of their attention. He appeared respectable, but it was evident he was drunk. "This must be Danielle's father," Haerin thought.

Danielle, on the other hand, looked as though she had seen a ghost. Her father was drunk again, and he had seen her.

"Ah, you're home," Danielle's father slurred as he looked at her, his voice betraying his intoxication. Then, he turned his gaze to Haerin, instantly recognizing her.

"And what might be the daughter of Mr. Kang doing here?" He asked.

Haerin looked at him, carefully considering her response. "This man knew my father, I need to be careful," she thought.

She smiled politely and bowed. "Good afternoon, Mr. Marsh. I'm Haerin, and I was just escorting Danielle home," she replied.

Mr. Marsh smiled at Haerin then gave Danielle a scrutinizing and judgmental gaze. "And may I ask why?" he probed.

"Danielle was involved in a small incident at our school, and she kind of hurt herself, so I was just helping her," Haerin answered, shooting Danielle a subtle glare as a warning not to contradict her.

But Danielle didn't even look at her. She seemed completely unconcerned with what Haerin had said, as if she couldn't care less. She appeared as though all she wanted to do was to run away from where she was right now.

Danielle's father approached them, his steps deliberate. "Ahh, is that so? As expected from Mr. Kang's daughter. You are very well-mannered," he praised Haerin before turning his gaze to Danielle. "But does this mean that this little miss here has gotten into trouble again? You even bothered someone to take you home, huh?" He stepped closer to Danielle, lowering his head until his mouth was level with her ear, and whispered angrily, "How dare you?" The venom in his tone was enough to make Danielle stumble, though she managed to regain her footing. However, she was certain her father was going to hurt her again.

Haerin, meanwhile, looked on in confusion. Why was he treating Danielle like this? And why did Danielle look so scared?

Straightening his posture, Danielle's father forced a smile at Haerin. "I'm sorry she caused you trouble," he said, his grip on Danielle's wrist harsh. "But don't worry, I'll make sure she learns from it," he added, a drunken smirk playing on his lips as he began to drag Danielle inside the door.

Haerin stood there, dumbfounded, trying to make sense of the situation. There was clearly something wrong with Danielle's father; perhaps it was the influence of alcohol, but she couldn't shake off the memory of Danielle once mentioning that her father was a kind and caring man who loved her deeply. So why was he acting like this?

Her thoughts were interrupted by Danielle's whispered plea as she locked eyes with Haerin, still being dragged inside by her father. "Haerin," she called out, her voice a desperate plea for help.

Suddenly snapped back to reality, Haerin found herself moving forward, propelled by an inexplicable urge to intervene. With determination, she managed to catch up to them and grab hold of Danielle's other wrist, bringing them both to a halt.

Mr. Marsh looked at her, his expression questioning. "Yes?" he asked, his tone curious. Haerin cleared her throat, feeling a surge of determination despite her uncertainty about what she was doing.

She had told Danielle earlier that she couldn't care less about her, but the sound of her pleading voice had propelled her into action, as if she were on autopilot. Holding onto Danielle's wrist tighter, she met Mr. Marsh's gaze.

"Mr. Marsh, do you mind if I spend a little time with Danielle here?" Haerin's words flowed out in a continuous stream, without much thought behind them. "It was actually my fault why she got the injury, and I'll make sure to treat her first before I leave." She didn't want to leave Danielle alone with him, that much was clear.

Mr. Marsh's brows furrowed slightly, but he maintained his smile. "Don't worry about that," he reassured her. "You don't have to spend your precious time on her; I'll take care of it."

But Haerin didn't back down. "I insist," she said firmly, locking eyes with him to convey that she couldn't accept no for an answer.

Sensing the seriousness in Haerin's demeanor, Mr. Marsh finally relents, albeit reluctantly.

"Very well," he concedes, his tone indicating his displeasure at the interruption.

With a nod of gratitude, Haerin releases Danielle's wrist from Mr. Marsh's grasp and guides her away from her father. Danielle led the way into her room, glancing a shy but thankful look at Haerin.

------------------

Author's Note: It turns out this short story will be more than five chapters, lol.

Anyway, four chapters have been uploaded today. Please expect that the next few chapters will take some time.