Chemical Hearts

The air was thick in the dimly lit corner of my workshop, the musky scent of ancient scribes and faint metallic components clouded my senses. The curls at the back of my head were starting to stick to my neck from all the heat and smoke erupting from a new potion I was working on that held the whispers of forbidden secrets.

"Morning, Lila," Damien's voice broke through my focus as he walked into my workshop, interrupting my meticulous work. The scent of freshly baked bread and the warmth of his greeting enveloped me.

"Morning," I replied, trying to sound casual despite my heart threatening to escape my chest.

"What are you working on?" Damien leaned in, his fingers tracing the lines of my name etched on my workbench. Lila Rosewind.

"Oh...just a new experiment," I stammered, averting my gaze. The potion on the table shimmered in hues of pink and red, a testament to my attempts at creating something extraordinary to impress Damien. My heart carried a secret, a heart-pounding flame of love for Damien, a man I had known since I was twelve. A man I had loved since I was twelve. A love that existed solely in stolen glances and fleeting encounters in the market square.

"You know, Lila, you should focus on things that matter," he mused, his gaze lingering on my face for a moment longer than usual before he walked away.

Desperation gripped my heart, and I mustered the courage to speak more, however my words struggled to come out, something I had never experienced with Damien before. The first time we ever spoke was in the market square, the chaos of vendors and buyers serving as a backdrop to our initial encounter. The charismatic son of a merchant who all the kids in Eldoria wanted to befriend, but he chose me. Little gap-toothed, awkward Lila. My heart became his captive ever since.

"I... I've been working on something special, Damien," I confessed, my hands fidgeting with the edges of my apron.

"Oh? Special, huh?" Damien arched an eyebrow, feigning interest. "What's it for?"

"I... I thought it might... help me express my feelings," I admitted, my cheeks flushing with embarrassment.

Damien chuckled, the sound sending shivers down my spine. "Express your feelings, Lila? You're an alchemist, not a poet." His words stung, but I pressed on, determined to reveal the depth of my emotions. "Damien, I thought this potion might help bring people closer together...perhaps even make them fall for those they never considered..." I hinted at him.

Damien raised an eyebrow, a smirk dancing on his lips. "You mean like a love potion?"

I nodded, unable to conceal the blush that crept up my cheeks. "Yes, but not just any love. A love so profound that it transcends the barriers of doubt and hesitation." He paused, his eyes meeting mine with an intensity I hadn't seen before. "Lila, you're a sweet girl, but potions won't make someone love you. Love is a natural thing, not something you can force. See that's why I appreciate people like Fayra, she's a realist you know? One time we were in this heated debate on whether the queen did in fact kill her husb-"

"Since when were you and Fayra that close?" I interrupt him coldly, a pang of jealousy suddenly hitting my chest.

Damien's gaze flickered, and he shifted uncomfortably on the bench. "Oh, you know, we've just been spending more time together lately. She's been helping me with some personal matters, that's all." His words hung in the air, heavy with unspoken meaning. I felt a surge of insecurity, a knot tightening in my stomach. Fayra, my best friend, confidante, was now sharing intimate moments with Damien. My Damien. It was as if the ground beneath me had shifted, and I struggled to maintain my composure.

"But why Fayra?" I blurted out, unable to hide the bitterness in my tone. I don't mean to sound resentful. Fayra and I had been inseparable since childhood, a friendship that had weathered the storms of growing up. Damien's eyes met mine, and there was a flicker of something I couldn't quite decipher. "Fayra understands the real world, Lila. She doesn't live in some fantasy realm of potions and dreams. It's refreshing." His words felt like a betrayal, each syllable carving into my already wounded heart. I looked away, staring at the distant castle towers, trying to compose myself. Fayra, the one I shared my dreams and fears with, was now being appreciated by Damien for the very things I thought made me unique.

He reached out, attempting to touch my hand, but I pulled away. "Lila, you know you're my number one. It's just that Fayra and I connect on a different level. She's more grounded, and sometimes I need that." A bitter taste filled my mouth as I processed his words. I had always been open about my love for alchemy and now it seemed that very passion was driving a wedge between us.

"I just thought you appreciated my uniqueness," I said, my voice carrying a hint of hurt.

Damien sighed, his expression softening. "Lila, you are unique, and I do appreciate you. It's just different with Fayra. Can't you understand?" Understand. The word echoed in my mind, carrying the weight of unspoken insecurities. I understood, but that understanding didn't ease the jealousy burning in my chest. We sat in silence, his words hanging heavy between us. I couldn't bring myself to look him in the eyes, fearing the pity I might find there.

"You know," Damien continued, his voice a low murmur, "you're a talented alchemist. You could do great things if you put your skills to better use." The condescending tone in his voice evident. The sun dipped below the horizon and cast long shadows across the workshop. The silence between us continued for a while longer, broken only by the soft bubbling of potions in the back. As Damien left my workshop, his words lingered in the air, a sobering truth that echoed in the painful silence.