Chapter 5

Kaz had felt good after beating up Pekka Rollins in that cell. Leaving that door open was no mistake, he hoped Pekka would come back, start getting his affairs in order. And just when he was beginning to feel safe, Kaz would tear him apart. Just like he'd torn apart two brothers all those years ago.

He was sat at his desk when he felt her presence.

"What business Wraith?"

She silently slipped through the window, her nimble feet finding purchase just in front of his desk.

"Rollins is back."

He knew it would be soon, but he'd underestimated Pekka'd courage to come scurrying back so fast. After all he should know that Dirtyhands doesn't let people off with no consequence. But not yet, he'd take his sweet time and he would make it hurt. Kaz vowed to unearth every dirty secret that man had and he would turn them all into his arsenal.

"How long have you been working Kaz?"

Ever the spider he'd made her. Inej leant against the window staring right at him. After the heist he realised something in their dynamic had changed. He no longer had the urge to run when she came too close. Without armour she had asked, but he was a mosaic of weapons fighting to shield who he really was. And somehow, this little Suli girl was slowly pulling him apart with her soft words.

"Long enough I assume, if it's warranted your worry wraith."

She chuckled at his smart arse answer and he couldn't help the smirk that pulled at his lips.

"Wylan had invited us all to the mansion, come."

Kaz couldn't find a reason to say no.

~

The Bastard and the Wraith were an odd site as they made their way towards Van Evcks Mansion, well Wylan's mansion now, they'd come past the Geldin district. Much different from the loud and busy staves. The districts to the far east of Ketterdam were much quieter as the wealthier preferred their order.

Update so yall know I didn't die. Just got swamped in hwk)

This felt like a weirdly cute chapter.