Chapter 1

I shifted on my chair, crossing, and uncrossing my legs. I held my hands tightly in my lap. High Mage Loal started down at me through his half-moon spectacles from his place at the top of the High Mage Council. Even though the dais the High Mages sat on was only about a foot off the ground, I felt like I was a small pixie about to get squashed.

"I have it on record that you said this vision was to take place in six months..." He paused, peering down at his parchment. The wrinkles around his mouth deepened into an even greater frown than the one that seemed to have been permanently etched onto his face. "Going on eight months ago."

As if to highlight his point, sunlight streamed in through the chamber's overhead windows. That morning songbirds had mocked me with their song as I had dragged my feet to this meeting, taunting me with failure. Spring was already upon us, the winter of our so-called savior having come and gone and magic still decaying.

"Well, as you are likely aware, Visions are often muddled, perhaps what I had seen was a particularly cold spring day. It's not unheard of for snow to fall under Aurora's moons from time to time."

High Mage Loal placed his parchment down and leaned back on his chair. More of a throne if we were all being accurate. "Down south at the furthest tip of Alfhaven, the only point where the Aetherworld can be accessed?"

My forced smile wavered. Alfhaven was known for its moderate, temperate climate—hence why most elves had made it their home. Snow after the first new blossoms of spring never occurred beyond the Wandering Mountains of Cascadia, which divided the territories the elfish and the mortals inhabited. Since my vision had taken place where the Aetherworld leaked into ours, powering the magic that had influenced our ways of life for centuries, it was unlikely it was snowing there in early spring.

"Pardon my intrusion, High Mage Loal, but may I provide some insight as a fellow seer?"

Relief poured through me as High Mage Elune sat forward. Her spirals of fluffy pink hair were tied into two poofs on either side of her head. She nodded at me, her eye's a silvery seer-blue against her bronzed skin. Ten years my senior, but already one of the most powerful mages to have ever lived.

She was also the only other known seer other than myself. She had been providing mentorship to me over the last few months as I had learned to master basic magic and tried to summon new visions to help provide clarity to my existing one.

"Please, enlighten us on how a six-month vision may have turned into eight."

Elune frowned at Loal, and I had to hide my amusement. She always referred to him as a miserable old crow when we were alone together.

"Where Miss Starfall's vision may have been murky on a few details—visions are often ever-changing as people's choices can change and are impacted by Sight, we cannot deny that the first and most important part of her vision has come true. Magic is dying, the flow from the Aether fading."

Silence resonated following Elune's words as the High Mages shifted uncomfortably in their chairs, gazing awkwardly at the empty spot to Loal's far right.

It was where High Mage Marcus had been sitting only three weeks ago. Until he had succumbed to the Fading, the illness that occurred in magic users whose magic had leeched from them. Magic was so entwined within the citizens of Cascadia that even though it had not first been born here, it now ran through our veins as important as our life-blood. 

Now High Mage Marcus was confined to his bed, suffering through the mystery of ailments that came on with the Fading. Fever, hallucinations, a searing cough that was said to feel like the lungs burning from within. Then lastly, the decay of the mind—a life of memories fading one by one. I clenched my hands together. The knowledge that even a High Mage could fall to the fading was terrifying.

When I first had my vision, I was thrilled. I was finally accessing magic with a powerful gift—one that had me seated at multiple High Mage meetings like this one. One that meant I was no longer overshadowed by my sisters. It was a wish come true.

That was until I realized the true reality of what I had seen. Hours after my vision had occurred, the first case of the Fading had been discovered. A young woman was found wandering the hills, skin ashen and drenched in sweat, with no idea who she was or where she was. She'd passed days later despite even Brea's best efforts. She had been her village's only healer—now gone forever, leaving behind so many people that had relied on her.

Now my dream come true felt more like a curse.

Loal's lips pursed, the only sign that what Elune had said was getting to him. His gaze flickered from me to Marcus's empty chair. "Have you attempted another vision?"

My mouth went dry. "Yes."

I'd tried. And I'd failed.

Loal was silent a moment, waiting for me to elaborate. When I didn't have anything to add.

"And you saw this, what did you call them...Hero?"

My skin flushed and I wanted to shrink in my chair, but this I knew. "Yes. That I can say with absolute certainty. Our hero will find a way to reopen the portal and renew our connection to the Aether."

He stood, shuffling his parchment with a resolute thump. He fixed his bespectacled gaze on me. "Then let's hope that we can all be absolutely certain your vision will come true. And soon. We are running out of time, Miss Starfall."

I stood, to reassure the High Mages that there was no doubt, but I paused.

Was I certain? What was it I had seen, how had he...

There was a loud crash behind me as the chamber's doors burst open. My heart thudded, as Rivia Gleenbelt entered. I recognized her as Erinna's war mage mentor. Her eyes caught mine, and in an instant, I knew. It was the same look Erinna had whenever she had to deliver devastating news. The eyes of a trained warrior who had seen things they shouldn't, and yet, still had to do their duty.

"Miss Starfall, we need you to come with us."

I was stuck in place, frozen. Unable to move. For a moment, even my heart seemed to pause.

"My sister. She has it, doesn't she?"

Rivia licked her lips, flickering her gazer at the mages who all eyed us, curiosity peaked.

"We will talk on the way."

---

Word Count: 1103

Total:  2377

Thank you for checking out my story! Please leave a comment to let me know what you thought!