Chapter 10

Theo and I stood at the edge of the Unclaimed Lands. It wasn't much different from my memory of when I had talked with Salizaris. The dawn sun was rising, glowing a faint red, only a little bit brighter than the moon had been in my memory. It shone down in dark orange rays, painting everything with strokes of flickering fire.

Theo and I shared a look before kicking our horses into a quick trot. We had chosen a direct path right through the center of the Lands, risking leaving our backs open to attack as we moved quickly over the rocky terrain to prioritize speed. We could have taken a safer route, one that kept us covered from any attack that may come from above or behind us, but it would add hours, if not days, to our journey. We did not have that kind of time.

It was hard for the horses at first, but they were made for difficult and uneven ground and knew how to pick their way over the rocks without losing too much speed. If anything, my mare seemed perfectly at home, picking over the rocks as if she were in a flat open field.

"Are you sure Salizaris will keep true to his word?" Theo asked as we moved.  I could tell Theo was uncomfortable out in the open. Even now I wished we had more cover, my instincts screaming to keep to the shadows and less traveled spaces.

A shadow passed overhead. I looked up to see a large winged form circling overhead, its sapphire scales glinting as it moved in and out of the smoky clouds. I swallowed thickly, unable to ignore the itch at the base of my neck. In the rocks around us now and then a shadow shifted. They were all around us.

Watching.

If this was what was left of the wild dragons, it was hard to imagine what it would have been like before.

"Dragons don't lie. They can't, it's forbidden. I doubt Salizaris would risk ending his long life just to play with us."

"I suppose." Theo let out a long breath, his gaze alert as a roar sounded in the distance up ahead of us. Because of the persistent smog, visibility was low, leaving what lay ahead a mystery. "But in order to keep to his timeline he must have known we would have to pass right through the center of their gathering area."

The gathering area is what we called it. To Salizaris it was more akin to a throne room, where he held court with all the other dragons. Charred and blackened ground hinted at it previous use, bones left behind of whatever they had been feasting on. My stomach turned. Though dragons didn't have any preference for any humanoid species, it didn't change that they were the most dangerous carnivores in all of Cascadia.

"Perhaps they won't be there?" I suggested. "He mentioned that most of the dragons have left to make their nests closer to the aether source in an effort to put off the fading."

But even as I tried to convince Theo, I couldn't ignore my own doubts.

"What if your vision—"

"—Dream talking—"

"Dream talking. Whichever. What if it..." He trailed off, focusing as our horses were forced to slow so they could weave through some large boulders. I gripped my reigns tighter, unable to ignore what Theo was trying to say.

"What if it didn't happen?" I finished for him, unable to keep the hurt from my voice.

Theo's silence was all I needed to know that I was right. I sped up my horse so that I was a few paces in front of Theo, unable to contain the sudden well of emotions inside of me.

Everyone doubted me. The High Mage Council back home. Mother as she had patted me on the back after the day of my my vision passed with pity in her gaze. The mages who had at first all rallied around, excited and adoring of their new Seer, all eventually growing distant when my vision hadn't come true. And now Theo, even he had his doubts despite embarking on this journey with me.

I'd be a fool to believe he was doing this out of the pure goodness of his heart. I had seen Theo. Pure and good were not words he lived by.

Then there was me. My own self doubts. The constant trying, hoping...

Wishing.

All of it had to mean something. Yet time and time again I just let myself down.

I swallowed down the sob bubbling in my chest, closing my eyes against the burn of tears. Now was not the time.

"Wait, Alexia!"

I ignored him, pushing my mare faster. Were were now at a full gallop, sweat wetting the horse's sides. One day. One night.

I had to believe it. If I didn't we were already dead.

"Alexia!"

Something in Theo's voice broke through the barricades I had been building around myself. I finally focused again on the world around me.

Only to yank on the horse's reins, my heart jolting as we came to a sudden stop. I held tight, nearly getting thrown as the mare tried to steady its footing.

Theo came to a stop beside me, his breathing quick from trying to match my pace. We looked on at what lay in front of us.

A dragon. Laying out in front of us. Its great wings were hunched, its long tail coiled around its body. It opened one milky white eye and let out a hiss of steam toward us, though I wasn't sure it could see where we were. I held my horse tight as it startled, wanting nothing more than to get away from the beast.

"It's ill," Theo said, keeping a careful distance. "If we go back around those rocks, we should be able to go around..."

I directed my horse a bit closer—as close as she would allow us to get as I studied the dragon. Its large body lifted and rose with quickened breaths, a slick rattle underneath the hiss of steam. I couldn't help my surprise. Something so big. So seemingly invincible.

Fallen.

"It's the Fading. Salizaris told me...but seeing it..." I dropped down from my horse, letting her keep her distance as I stepped nearer.

"Fading or not, that beast is unpredictable. We can't trust it will follow Salizaris's orders."

Oh, so now his doubts were gone?

The dragon's head lifted ever so slowly toward us, letting out a low growl. A warning.

I knew what Theo said was true. I knew the dragon was ill. But for a moment, just a moment, I hesitated.

Erinna's face, gaunt and lost of its usual warmth flashed before my eyes. There was evidence of how great this dragon had once been. It had green scales tipped in gold, now dull and lacking luster. It's head had four great horns, two on each side. Its size alone suggested it was nearly as old as Salizaris himself.

And yet here it was. Dying.

"None of us are safe," I whispered, reaching out. "Not even you."

With a rumbling growl, a fiery glow grew under the dragon's scales, rising up its throat. It was the only warning I got before a fury of flames burst from the dragon's mouth.

Everything happened quickly. A burst of flame. A force slamming into my body as I was pushed aside. The cry of our horses as they fled.

Then fire. So much fire. A scream of pain.

Then all I could see was Theo's face over mine. Holding me out of harm's way, his face twisted in agony.

"Run," he said, pulling me to my feet, even as he buckled on his own. My thoughts finally lined up as I held his hand.

And we ran. And ran. Behind us, the Dragon let out a long mournful roar.

It did not follow.

---

Word Count: 1284

Total: 14972