Chapter 7

Dear Brea

I am safe and well. I wish I could tell you more. For now, just trust me. I will be away for a longer than I first intended, but it's what I must do for everyone. Give my love to Erinna and Mother.

-A

I took one last look at my quick note for Brea before wrapping it tight and tying it the to foot of the crow I had paid for. The Amersat Rookery housed a collection of ravens, pigeons and crows that a Creature Mage trained to deliver messages throughout Cascadia. The crow eyed me with one black unblinking eye before taking off. 

I watched it go until it was no more than a black speck amongst the drifting clouds, the storm from the night before already dissipating, giving way to a shimmering spring sun.

I stepped out of the rookery to find Theo waiting with two horses. His was a large stallion, its brown coat speckled with white, only just past the age of maturity. What it lacked in height, it made up for with toned muscle—a horse bred for the rough, heavy terrain of mountain passes. It tossed its head as I approached, eyeing me with one hazel eye and an arrogance to match its rider.

Besides it was a shorter mare. Mostly white with dappled hindquarters and a large brown spot on its nose. She looked a bit older, a couple of years the stallion's senior. She nipped at the grass on the side of the path, more concerned with getting in an extra lunch than me as I approached.

I could see both horses were already packed with supplies, both bearing a bedroll, a pack, and water bottle. Along with the supplies Theo had prepared, the mare also carried my small bag which carried the rest of my coin purse and the few personal items I had bothered to bring along with me.

"Finished?" Theo asked as I studied the mare. I ran a hand over her coat, feeling its softness. She turned from the grass to inspect me, her large brown eyes taking me in. Not finding anything of note—likely a lack of anything to snack on in my hands, she returned to her grazing. She made no move as I readied my foot at her saddle.

"Yes. I'm good to go." Theo hadn't questioned when I told him I had to notify my family I would be longer. But I could sense his curiosity as he watched me get up on my horse. When I looked back at him, he averted his gaze and started leading us up the path out of Amersat.

Amersat sat on the west coast of Cascadia. There were three main roads leading into it. One that went to the north, which was the one I had taken to get here. It led to the northern Mage provinces. Then there was the one that went south into the Mountains, used mostly by the Elven merchants who came to sell their wares at the Amersat Dockside Market.

Then there was the eastern road. It was less busy than the north, only a few parties were making their way up it from the Eastern Mage provinces. As I eyed the people walking it—halfling, mage, and human all mixed together—I considered how very little I had seen of the world. 

Brea had traveled many times over the years, always on the lookout for new potions and rare ingredients—her large collection was what made her one of the most powerful mages of our generation. But I had rarely joined her. Instead, I had mostly traveled through the north to see other family members. 

It occurred to me that outside of the Mage provinces I had grown up in, most of the rest of the world lived in much more close quarters.

I had worried we might stand out, an elf and a mage traveling together, but rarely anyone gave us a sideways look as we passed. Despite that, I still made sure my crystal was hidden underneath my cloak.

A Seer would still likely give even the least interested stranger pause.

As if sensing my thoughts Theo moved closer, our legs brushing as the horses walked close together. "Along the southern border, things tend to be more diverse. In the East, even more so. You can relax. It is only once we make the passing that we will need to hide. Alfhaven is...less open-minded."