Chapter 13

Light filtered in through the opening of the cave entrance, warming my eyelids. I fluttered open my eyes, slowly shaking off the haze of sleep. My body was relaxed, cushioned against soft pillows, and covered in a warm blanket slung over my waist.

I blinked, my brows furrowing.

No, not blankets. A thick muscular arm was wrapped around my waist, pulling me tight against his body. Warmth radiated from behind. For one, brief moment as the realization of who I had woken snuggled into hit me, I didn't move. Instead, I basked in the feel of him, the curved planes of his body softened by sleep. His breath brushed against my ear. A pleasant shiver ran down my spine.

Maybe if I closed my eyes, I could fall back asleep and pretend to be none the wiser...

"Good morning Alexia," Theo murmured in my ear. His arm flexed like he was considering pulling me closer. I was acutely aware of every part of our body that touched, squeezing my legs together to try to fend off the desire that pooled there. Based on how Theo shifted behind me, and a certain... appendage making its presence known, I wasn't the only one.

"I should move," I whispered back. "I didn't mean to fall asleep."

Theo didn't answer. He simply traced a strip of exposed flesh along my stomach from where my undershirt had loosened from my trousers.

Yesterday, and all the days before, came crashing back to me. I stiffened, remembering Theo's injuries. "I really should," I reiterated, voice sober. Theo's arms remained heavy as I pulled away, turning to fix him with a glare.

"You're injured," I reminded him, though in truth I was the one that needed to be reminded.

Theo turned over onto his back, arm over his eyes. I missed his heat the moment it was gone. He was quiet a moment, and I got the sense he too was struggling to contain himself. The knowledge filled me with warmth.

Perhaps my feelings weren't completely one-sided.

Eventually, Theo straightened, looking around at our cave. I considered him. Gone was the pallor, his skin returned to its usual lively luster. The sweat that had beaded his brow last night was long gone. All that remained to indicate he had been near death was his mussed hair, partially burned clothing, and the still clean bandage on his leg.

"Where are we?"

I gestured outside the cave. "Not far from where last you were conscious. If you go outside, you can still see the river."

"Our packs?"

I bit my lip. "Gone with the horses, I'm afraid."

He nodded, but his expression grew tense. He pushed up on his hands like he might try to stand.

"Wait!" I stopped him, putting a hand on his shoulder. "You still are far too injured to walk—"

Theo gently brushed my hand away, standing up. He shifted from side to side, testing his weight on his injured leg. "I'm well enough. We need to go. Now."

Alarm filed me. There was no way Theo could be ready to continue after just one day and night of rest from a dragonfire injury. He would just make himself unwell again.

"Not possible. It has not been nearly enough time."

Theo paused before turning back to me. "How long has it been?"

"Only about one full day—"

Theo let out a hiss, massaging the point between his brows. "We have no time to waste. We shouldn't linger in these mountains. Besides, we need to get something to eat. And clean water."

Theo started walking out of the cave, but I refused to follow. I studied Theo as he moved. He didn't even limp... surely my healing abilities weren't that magical.

Something wasn't right.

"There's a river right here. Not to mention plenty of edible plants. We could take up residence here if we wished."

Theo turned to fix his gaze on me. "We need to go. Now. I mean it Alexia. We can't stay here."

Frustration brewed inside me, but something about the urgency in his tone had me pushing it down and following, however reluctantly. I had no doubts he truly was worried, but it was becoming very clear that Theo was also not telling me everything. I thought of the carcass and the strange feeling I'd had in the forest yesterday and decided it was best to do as Theo said.

Still, it shouldn't be so easy for him to walk after his injuries yesterday. Only just a few hours ago he had still been near death.

We walked out through the cave, Theo easily picking a path through less dense growth. It was almost like he knew this land well. Too well.

"What aren't you telling me?"

Theo sighed, throwing me a glance. He moved quickly, further solidifying my theory that he was, indeed, fully healed. I had no idea how that was possible.

"We need to keep our voices low, lest they hear us. I'll tell you later once we are somewhere safer."

I opened my mouth to argue, but closed it, the prickling sensation starting at my neck again. I looked around the trees behind us but nothing stirred. I hurried to follow after Theo, pressing my lips into a thin line. There was something out here, watching us. Something that though it hadn't attacked us, yet, had Theo eager to get going. I could pepper Theo with all my questions again once we got somewhere safer.

Alfhaven was mostly a big mystery to me, and I would be a fool to not heed his warnings.

The day continued like that. We walked in mostly silence, Theo only talking to give me directions here and there. Step here. Don't step there. Here and there he would stop abruptly and go back, taking another long route around where we had been heading. I searched and searched my surroundings, unable to pinpoint what exactly he was avoiding.

Yet, here and there that same feeling returned. The feeling of eyes, somewhere out in the trees, watching us. I caught Theo glancing in the same direction every time it came. He would urge us faster in the opposite direction and eventually, the feeling would fade.

As the sun started to drift lower across the sky, we reached a wide valley. It was nestled between two mountain peaks, vibrant and full of colourful plants I couldn't wait to get closer to so I could inspect them. In the distance, I could see beyond the valley to the other side where the mountains finally ended, the terrain changing to vast flat lands. From here I couldn't see any sign of civilization, but I knew it was out there.

I had seen some images of the main Alfhaven cities in my texts, but most of them had been over a hundred years old and I had no idea if it would be the same today. There was Aiqua with its white stone buildings, colourful shell-embedded houses, and straw-thatched roofs. Then there was Elunore with its silvered black stone, tall buildings, and the constant fog. Lastly, there was Laf Ancalen. The capital and the furthest south. It was said to be part jungle, part city, but the images we had of it were limited. No mage had ever made it that far south during the wars and lived.

It was also home to the Elf King. We would need to pass right by it to get to the aether source.

---

Word count: 1213

Total:  18972