Chapter 7

Emery Rose

I think I'm dying.

Amelia, here I come.

I thought as I threw myself at the school gymnasium.

The coach's whistle echoed, reminding us of our tough practice. We had been pushed to our limits, forced to repeat routines and stunts until our muscles screamed in protest, all in preparation for the upcoming competition in May.

The competition was more than just a chance to showcase our skills and school spirit; it was an opportunity to prove ourselves against rival teams from other schools. Months of intense training had been leading up to this moment, and the pressure to perform was palpable. Our coach had drilled into us the importance of giving our all, emphasizing that our success or failure would not only reflect on us as individuals but also on the reputation of our school.

The pressure to perform was real. It weighed heavily on my shoulders, amplified by the knowledge that I was carrying the memory of my sister. Being kicked off the team now, so close to the competition, was a terrifying prospect that I couldn't bear to contemplate.

"You okay, Emery?" My coach asked from a distance.

I mustered all the energy I could and attempted what I hoped was a reassuring gesture. A thumbs up.

It felt more like a surrender than a sign of strength.

I could hear the rustling of bags and the chatter of my teammates as they prepared to leave but I couldn't bring myself to open my eyes. The exhaustion weighed heavily on me, and It was a feeling I knew all too well, No matter how hard I pushed myself, each practice session left me feeling close to death.

"Get your shit together" Leslie, my beloved best friend, nudged my feet with an impatient kick.

"Just give me a second" I mumbled, my voice barely audible as I lay sprawled out on the gym floor, contemplating the meaning of life.

Leslie, with her boundless cheerleader energy, was used to this. After all, she had been perfecting her pom-pom skills since birth, or so it seemed. Meanwhile, I had only embarked on this cheerleading journey four short years ago, and frankly, I needed a break damnit.

That's how Leslie and I met. I was a hopeless rookie, unable to execute a cartwheel without face-planting.

Leslie took pity on me, bless her heart, and took me under her wing, patiently teaching me the ropes of cheerleading. As we spent more time together, our friendship blossomed, and she began inviting me to hang out with her and her friends.

It was during one of these outings that I met Justin. At the party Leslie invited me to, I met Justin, who was one of her closest friends. From the get-go, there was an undeniable spark between us. As the night continued, we spent more time together, chatting and getting to know each other better. Eventually, we both realized that there was something special growing between us. I had never felt this way about anyone before, except maybe for Brad Pitt.

"Come onnn" Leslie whined as she pulled at my arm like a toddler begging for ice cream She was my ride home and the thought of being stranded at the school gymnasium was clearly not on her agenda for the evening.