Chapter 18

Grayson Lockhart

As Emery's figure dwindled in the distance, her form disappearing into the sanctuary of my car, a mixture of relief and concern washed over me. Yet, my attention quickly shifted to Justin, still sprawled on the ground.

I replayed the scene in my mind, the sickening sight of Justin's brutish treatment of Emery seared into my consciousness. Watching her struggle against his grip, her necklace ripped away from her and thrown into the lake, filled me with a burning rage unlike anything I had ever felt before. I was grateful that I arrived back just in time. From the confines of my car, I had witnessed everything as I drew nearer. I knew Emery needed me, and I couldn't leave her like she told me to.

How could he do something so heartless, so cruel?

I watched as Justin's bruised and bloodshot eyes met mine, a faint glimmer of defiance flickering within them. But it was quickly extinguished by the satisfaction I felt at seeing him suffer.

He deserved every ounce of pain he was experiencing, and more.

Then, in a pathetic attempt to regain control, he called out after Emery, his voice tinged with desperation and longing.

"Baby!" he yelled, the word dripping with possessiveness and entitlement, and it made my blood boil.

As he stood up and made his way toward her, pushing me aside in his path, I knew I couldn't stand idly by. Without a moment's hesitation, I acted. My fist connected with his jaw with a resounding crack, the sound echoing through the stillness of the night like thunder.

Justin's body crumpled under the force of the blow, his breath escaping him in ragged gasps.

He didn't have the right to call her that anymore. I refused to let him. The memories of yesterday flooded my mind – the party where he callously abandoned her, leaving her alone and vulnerable, intoxicated and wandering the streets. The mere thought of it filled me with an overwhelming urge to seek vengeance.

I had entertained thoughts of confronting Justin at the party, of hurting him for doing that shit, but in the end, I had chosen to let it slide, for Emery.

But today, witnessing him grab her and refuse to let go, then callously discarding the one precious memento Amelia left her before passing away – her necklace – it was too much to bear.

And now, with Justin lying at my feet, I struggled to contain the boiling rage within me.

The night air hung heavy with tension as Justin glared up at me, his expression a mixture of defiance and wounded pride. Despite the darkness surrounding us, I could sense the flicker of fear lurking beneath his bravado.

"What the hell are you doing here?!" he demanded, his tone laced with accusation.

I met his gaze head-on, my own resolve unwavering. "I'm here to tell you to stay away from her" I stated firmly, each word ringing with conviction.

A derisive scoff escaped Justin's lips, a smirk playing across his features. "And if I don't, what are you gonna do about it?" he taunted, arrogance dripping from his voice like poison. "You can't stop me"

The flames of anger burned within me, every fiber of my being screaming for retribution. But I suppressed them, knowing I had to keep control. Emery's presence nearby served as a stark reminder of the need for restraint.

Not here. Not now.

With a swift, purposeful step forward, I closed the gap between us, my hand shooting out to seize him by the neck with an iron grip, pulling him upright to stand before me.