back of the van (06)

It had been a week since sabrina and I broke up. we'd still been hanging out because neither of us got hurt, but it was a pretty public break up the while school knew. There were rumours that sabrina had cheated, but since there was no bad blood and we hung out a lot, they quickly blew over. "You got any plans for the holidays?" I asked the group across our lunch table that sat in front of the school field where they were unbothered by . This little group we sat in with Bea, conan, sabrina, troy and renee was the aftermath of all the drama, olivia always sat with josh and his stupid jock friends and tate was coming back from Hawaii tonight. We were all planning on surprising her at the airport tonight with big signs and everything we'd probably end up having a sleepover, too, anyway. During the drama with me and liv, conan was the main one updating our little friend in hawaii on all the shit going on so she was up to date on her return, but if I'm being totally honest we were all venting to her about the drama from our own point of view so she probably knew more then we did. Tate and sabrina were the only two that knew about my unrequited love for Olivia, I'm a sucker for a happy ending. What can I say, but being a hopeless romantic that swoons over their 'straight' ex best friend isn't the best option for that happy ending, but I can try and be optimistic still.

- that night -

We were all chatting and singing in the back of conans dark blue Suburban Toyota minivan without a care for the cruel world outside our little bubble. we were all living out our childhood teenage dirtbag fantasies and enjoying ourselves while our adolescence lasted... exept for one of us, liv. She was quiet and reserved at the very back of the van next to me, sitting with her legs crossed over and biting her tongue it was apparent thatthis wasnt her cup of tea. If you asked me at the start of this term, I wouldn't hesitate to check up on her and ask her what's up, but at this point, i don't think she cares if I'm alive. I still care about her, though. I always will.

Liv's pov:

This car could not be more uncomfortable for me, not my setting at all. I was literally sat next to my ex best friend, who i had also kissed... And thought about kissing.. on multiple other occasions.. like right now. Whatever the point of is, it was really, really uncomfortable for my introverted ass, but gracie seemed to be having the time of her life. She was singing along to the music wiping her beautiful brown locks around to the sound of am teenager by the one and oly mother cain. She had also been making conversation with sabrina, who sat on her other side, which proved to be an even more uncomfortable position for me than i could ever imagine. I just sat there awkwardly in the corner, picking at the skin around my nails and biting my tongue to avoid saying anything dumb which was highly likely if I'm being honest.

As We finally got out of that stuffy minivan we made it to the airport to surprise the fan favourite and my favourite, the one and only, tate motherfucking McRae. But we made our way through the airport, the exitement of seeing one of our best friends kicked in, making us all become idiot aka litteral teenage dirtbags i cpukd practically hear the movie picture perfect background music as everyone paraded around the airport. All of us were a bit reckless, i will addmit, but we were only teenagers what more do you expect, of course we'd all crack jokes and play with little stuffed animals in stores and try on funny looking sunglasses as we made our way through the stores, we had time to kill, so what the hell. Even with all the excitement though gracie still ignored me, to be fair i was a bit of a bitch, flirting with josh the day after we kissed but it was just a kiss not like i cheated and she was flirting with sabrina anyway so no harm no foul its a teen romance so what the heck.

We all held up pre made signs that conan had made us all saying, "Have you seen this woman?" With a picture of tate, it was honestly pretty creative, especially on such short notice. We all watched her leave the terminal in her set of track suit pants and a hoodie. We all stood in silence as she slowly realised we were there for her. before we knew it, she was sprinting up to our group to greet us with hugs and a few tears. As she hugged me tight, I knew she missed us, and God, I missed her too.

"Tate, you can't do this. I'm gonna ruin my mascara," I said, fanning my face to help me with holding back tears clogging my vision.
"Well, I guess I just have that effect on people," she replied with a giggle through her matching teary eyes. We all came up and hugged her, each of us having our own strong reactions to her return. After we'd all greeted her, she looked at us all together, and I just knew her eyes were staring me and gracie cause I could feel them drilling into my skull as we walked out of the airport. I looked over to gracie just to catch her staring at me, which she reacted to by cutely panicking and trying to play off her staring by shooting her eyes to the ground.
"There's no harm in looking," tate whispered to me, to which I responded by giving her a side eye and an elbow to the arm.

-

Out group had now gracefully as ever (not) climbed back into the back of conans "kidnapper van" according to tate, to go to his house and have a celebration sleepover for tate. I've never done well with sleepovers. The thought of leaving the safety of your own home to sleep at someone else's and trusting them with your safety didn't seem the most appealing to me, but they are basically essential socially so I go to them anyway. I tried to distract myself from my crippling anxiety by listening in on Troy and Renee's conversation, though I wasn't really taking in much info. I saw Troy's blurred figure move and point to me as I was zoned out, which I was quickly snapped out of by Reneé.

"Liv, why are you such a buzz kill today? Is it boy troubles again with josh." Renee said, pointing to my hands, which were anxiously rolling the ring on my middle finger.
"Not exactly." I shakily chuckled, trying to get back to my daydream. Though It the corner of my eye, I saw a familiar brunette turn to look from the sound of my voice.

"Girl, all we're saying is you've been kinda aloof the entire car ride.. wait, omg, did Josh cheat on you?" Troy whispered in his Australian whole huddled together with me and renee in the backseat of the car. As soon as the word cheating came up, the blonde next to gracie immediately looked over to our group, weird...

"What, no! Me and Josh are perfectly happy right now, Troy." I panicked whisper, yelling in our little huddled out of the back of the car.
"All I'm saying is that didn't sound very convincing.." Troy said, putting his arms up in defeat while renee sat back and drank her water with a heavysmirk on her face, which didn't help towards my current uncertainty in my relationship. I just wondered for the ret of the trup home why sabrina turned her head when cheating was mentioned. As my mind wondered, i remembered Josh refused to cut off sabrina at all costs. I just told myselfit wastrue and held out in that minivan for the rest of the ride to conans place.

A/n sorry for disappearing from this fic lowkey forgot it existed... anyway IM SO HAPPY, CONAN IS GOING ON TOUR AND LIV STARTED HERS AND SABRINA'S COMING FOR ANOTHER TOUR AND TATES ALSO COMING. this is too much for one girl and her bank account. I'm bouta go broke, Oh well..

Anyway, sorry bout that rant, as always. I hope y'all enjoyed the chapter as always, vote and comment, please, and thank you for reading.

_____________
1445 words