Part 2

Penelope sipped her cup of lemonade, scanning the crowd in front of her. They were at Lady Hathaway's ball, another social engagement in a series of endless ones, and she was bored. Whereas these events served a purpose in the past, now she was no longer in search of a husband or gossip. The gatherings weren't all work however, there were many an evening when Eloise and she would die from laughter at others frivolity. And then there were the dances. Penelope loved to dance but she wasn't very popular and not many gentlemen asked her to partner. Often Colin would be the only one. A part of her knew his invites were more for her benefit than his but she always assumed he enjoyed their moments together as well - but now that she knew how embarrassed he was to be seen with her, she cringed at those memories.

"Good evening, Pen. Enjoying yourself?"

She almost choked on the liquid at Colin's unexpected appearance beside her. She thought he would avoid her company, hoped for it actually after their last conversation at the park, but there he was. Stubbornly she took another sip, refusing to speak to him.

"You look lovely tonight."

She rolled her eyes.

"As pleasing as the new wardrobe is, I must admit it's your hair that is most... intriguing."

In her peripheral vision she saw his eyes roaming over her, and every nerve in her body tensed. It was difficult to breathe. For as long as she'd known him, she loved him. Being flushed and breathless around Colin was nothing new, but there was something different about the reaction he evoked in her now. There was no longer a soft, sweet warmth that enveloped her. Instead something dark and caustic surged through her, a swirl of tumultuous emotions that left her reeling with confusion when he watched her in the strange, new fashion that he had at the park and now. It probably had something to do with the anger she felt towards him but it wasn't just that. She didn't understand it, she didn't like it, and she needed it to stop.

"Oh, you'd like to know how I am?" Colin continued, unfazed by her silence. "Quite well, actually. London air has been surprisingly refreshing, although I'm still not fond of the rain."

"I do not wish to discuss the weather with you, Mr. Bridgerton," she replied stiffly, straightening her back while her eyes remained fixated on the flood of people circling the dance floor.

"Then what shall we discuss?" he mused. "Would you like to hear about the gifts I brought back for everyone? Or would you rather share more about your time in the country?"

"I would not."

"Alright, let's discuss your falling out with Eloise. My sister refuses to speak on it but maybe I can pry the truth from your lips."

"You'd be foolish to try."

"How about a dance then? Would you join me for a waltz?"

"No."

"Fine. Quadrille it is."

Irritated, she turned to find him smirking at her. Her heart pounded in her chest seeing the wicked glint in his eyes, the mischievous tilt of his lips as he deliberately goaded her. "You're trying to provoke me."