Part 5

"Open the door this instant, Penelope!"

Hearing the banging on her door and her mama's voice yelling from the other side, Penelope quickly put away her writing materials. The newest Lady Whistledown column sheet was almost ready. She had planned to complete it while Prudence and Portia were busy entertaining callers this afternoon only to be interrupted repeatedly. Irritated, she walked to the door and opened it, allowing Portia Featherington to barge in.

In her mother's hands was a lovely bouquet of lilies which Portia placed on the nearby desk.

"The Bridgerton boy is here." There was no mirth on Portia's face, her striking eyes gleaming as she confronted Pen.

"Is he?"

"Which, I know, you're already aware of because Mrs. Varley came up here to inform you."

Pen kept her mouth shut.

"Is there a reason you turned down his invitation for a promenade?"

"I don't feel well."

"Not good enough, Penelope! When a gentleman comes to call on you, you must always say yes!"

"Even on our deathbeds," Pen muttered under her breath.

"Yes, even then," Portia retaliated. "Martha!" She screamed, calling for Penelope's maid. "Wear something suitable for your walk with that boy. There will be others who see you in the park."

"I thought he left?"

"Fortunately, he did not."

"Mama, he's not courting me. We're just friends. You know that, right?"

"It doesn't matter. He's a Bridgerton. Where he leads, others will follow and that is the only thing working in your favour in your advanced age."

And with that statement Portia stormed out, leaving Pen alone with Martha in her chamber.

"These flowers are beautiful, Miss. I'll put them in water."

Pen watched as Martha busied herself with the vibrant, varying colors of the bouquet. In one of their letters she had mentioned to Colin about her newfound appreciation of lilies, and apparently he had kept that in mind.

"Shall I fetch the orange dress for you, Miss?" Martha asked, returning to her.

"No, the pale green one please. And the matching shawl."

As Martha scurried about, Pen took a deep breath to calm her nerves.

***

Penelope exited her home and headed down the stairs, Martha following behind her. Her mother was watching them through the window, taking note of everything going on, and Pen didn't want to give her mama anything new to harp about. Colin, of course, was using her reticence to his full advantage. He stood on the sidewalk, a wicked smirk on his face, looking more handsome than any gentleman had a right to. Pen ignored the flutter of butterflies in her stomach, reminding herself how angry she was at him. What she wanted to do was take him to task for calling on her when she repeatedly asked him not to. Instead, she was forced to greet him with a stiff smile.

"Mr. Bridgerton," she said coldly, stopping in front of him.

His smirk transitioned into a full smile. "Pen," he said with a deliberate languid drawl, trying to goad her no doubt.

"Mama is at the window."

"I'm aware." Colin's eyes twinkled with mischief. "Shall we promenade?"

Penelope glanced over her shoulder and found her mother watching her like a hawk. She turned back to Colin. "Forcing me into this wasn't very gentlemanly of you."