Part 4

"Unhand her now, Colin!"

Penelope jumped at the sound of Anthony's voice, panicked at the thought of being caught. Colin must have felt the same way as he finally loosened his grip on her waist. Immediately she distanced herself from him, a heated blush creeping across her cheeks at the sight of the Viscount and his wife standing a few feet away. While Anthony was busy glaring at Colin, Kate Bridgerton's eyes studied her with concern.

Although he had never been unkind to her, a part of her had always been intimidated by the eldest Bridgerton sibling. While Benedict was affable and charming, Anthony was the opposite and his stern demeanor tended to make her nervous. So to be caught by him in such a shameful manner – Penelope wanted the earth to swallow her up, she was too embarrassed to speak.

"What is going on here?" Anthony demanded, glaring at Colin. "Did you hurt her? Are you alright, Penelope?"

"Stay out of this, brother!"

"I'm fine."

She and Colin replied in unison.

Penelope cast Colin a quick glance, warning him silently to go along with the lie. "My dress had a tear in it and Colin was helping me."

Neither Anthony nor Kate looked like they believed her. Fortunately, they did not push back.

"You both know better than to be alone out here without a chaperone," Anthony chastised. "If anyone were to see the two of you-"

"Fortunately, it was only us," Kate interjected, approaching Penelope with an assuring smile. "Anthony, why don't you and Colin go back in and fetch us some champagne? After I help Penelope with her dress, we can meet you inside."

"Pen and I still have much to discuss," Colin said in a firm tone.

She threw an irritated glance at Colin. While he was within his rights to argue with his family, she certainly didn't have the same privilege – and it brought further attention to how oblivious he was when it came to her.

There was a time when she used to believe all of his gestures of intimacy were indicative of his love, but since the night she overheard him it became clear that had never been the case. His words – "you do not count, you're Pen" – was how he truly felt. She wasn't someone he viewed romantically, rather he didn't view her as a proper lady at all. It's why he never worried about others misconstruing their relationship, why he never hesitated to spend time with her unchaperoned, why he kissed her tonight with such recklessness when he would never dare to do so with other young ladies of the ton. And even though he wasn't purposely being hurtful, it still angered her to recognize how careless he was with her. In the past she was too much in love with Colin to worry about her own reputation but now she couldn't afford a scandal. Not when she was so close to gaining freedom and living the life she wanted. "There's nothing further to say."

"In that case, brother, you and I shall head inside," Anthony ordered sternly. "And Kate and Penelope may join us when they're ready."

Colin turned to her, peering at her, demanding silently that she meet his gaze. "I will call on you tomorrow," he stated angrily when she refused to look at him.

"I have a prior engagement," was her immediate reply.

"With whom?"

"Now!" Anthony barked.

Finally Colin tore his eyes from her and stormed away. He didn't wait for Anthony, instead marching past his brother.

"I apologize for his behaviour." Anthony shook his head. "If my brother has said or done anything to harm you-"