Chapter 3

"It was never a lie when the truth is in front of you, yet you blinded your eyes"

- Tereke, the failed conqueror.

CHAPTER THREE

Zeieri took Vyra on an early flight and the dawn gave her peace as he silently flew towards the peeking sun. "You haven't slept properly Vyra." She furrowed my brows. Vyra turned to her back to glance at Sytheri, the peace that hovers this kingdom somehow soothes her but the thought that a serpent may sink its venomous fangs to this home messes her mind in many ways than one.

The Sytherian kingdom and its four courts suffered beyond her knowledge for she is only able to read about the past or listen to her grandfather's stories, and she know that it took a century for this place to finally deserve peace after victoriously casting away the serpentis.

Aragon is one mesmerizing kingdom and far from a fragile one, with dragons keeping the place etherical and indestructible as it is.

But her Sytherian heart will always have a different feel, and its fragility is bothering her knowing that dragons can't just come down from Aragon for the sake of it.

The castle of Sytheri rises at the west where the sun peeks first, its court Summeri lies in the east, closest to the high mountain ranges over the long river. Planta, a court known for its faunas lies on the south while Icen, the frozen and icy court takes it seat on the North. Separated by the river, Automus the biggest court is on the west side. Most unbonded dragons stay there when they descend from Aragon when they feel like their rider is calling for them.

Centuries ago, Sytheri was a mere village and was never a kingdom. A noble leader and his wife looked over the village, that leader is a great man, an honorable person in the shape of Elepsus, their grandfather, the mighty Elverde.

In his time, they called him a Star. Because somehow, despite of the normality of this world, he possessed an impossible level of intelligence and kindness. Two traits that won the heart of his people.

Until one day, the ancient Verde rose from the grounds of Sytheri, and the Ether dragon humbled its way down to the lands to call for a worthy rider, someone who would be the first to mount a dragon, a would-be dragon master.

Jhaigar commanded an Elverde to protect people from beings threatening the balance of nature, the serpentis. Their grandfather is the Elverde of their time, and for thousands of years, all he and his mount did was shield them from the serpentis and successfully casted them away decades ago.

Now, after many lunars of peace, came the seraphs and vicious serpentis once again.

Vyra do not know how to feel about this, especially as the thought that kept her awake each night in Aragon seems to be a piece of the puzzle.

Why must Elverde train her and Zeieri if peace was truly attained decades ago?

Did he know the threat was out there all these times?

"Vyra?" Zeieri calls for her attention. She almost forgot where they were heading. "You're lost in your thoughts sister" Vyra sighed. "Can you feel that too? That discomfort in your system that seems like an ache in your heart but it's not, because it's more like-"

"Fear." He cut her off. "I understand, and as much as fear tries to creep in me, I've learned to swallow and face it like Jhaigar. Fear often makes you weak but is an essential emotion to all. Soon enough, you'll have to make that fear a driving force to be brave or else it will swallow you whole." Vyra nodded. She was never one for a coward, but she has a feeling in her, that something big is about to come, something she feels she's not prepared for.