Caramel - Chapter One

The truck came to a loud stop, it reminded Maria of a school bus stopping to let a passenger off. She could only wish that was the case, wishing she was riding the school bus on her way home to her parents. But on the contrary she was on a ranch somewhere in Montana, her new home.

John Dutton was in the front seat, a man she had only met a handful of times and the man her parents trusted her with. He looked up into the review mirror to make eye contact with her. "Take your time." He spoke, his large mustache looked like it tickled his bottom lip and it made her skin crawl a bit, just enough to be able to hide it.

"It's not going to be easy but there's plenty of hearts here to open up to." He looked around for a second before turning the engine off. "I'll have Rip grab your bags. He's around your age maybe you two can make friends."

She huffed as he opened his door and jumped out, she followed after, swinging the door shut as her feet landed on the ground. John came around, setting a hand on her shoulder as he guided her. "I'll introduce you to the couple of people who are here. My kids are in school." They stood in front of a corral, where many men in hats were standing around waiting for her, she assumed.

"They work for you?" She almost stated it, but curved her statement enough that it came out as a question.

He chuckled softly. "These are my cowboys, they take care of things around here." They each waved, hungry eyes disgustingly devoured the seventeen-year old girl.

She lifted a timid hand in gesture but John felt her become small next to him, so he spun her around and shot a sneaky warning look to the cowboys, which caused them to disperse and pretend they were busy doing anything else.

"They won't always be like that." He sighed. "Sad thing is, it doesn't matter how old the girl is, they just care they haven't seen a female in a while."

They walked toward the barn, she could hear a shovel hitting the dirt and the faint grunt of what seemed to be a young boy. "Rip." John spoke sternly. "Put that shovel down and come meet Maria for a second."

Rip looked up slowly and carelessly, he stood the shovel next to him as he caught his breath, then they made eye contact. His mouth agape and her breath shuttered a bit. "Ms. Maria." He took his hat off, setting it against his chest. "I'm sorry I didn't hear you all come in."

"Don't mention it." John shook his head. "Maria is going to be staying with us, I want you to show her around, thought it'd be a little more comforting.. given you twos age and.." He smiled gently. "Such."

Rip set his hat back on his head, his curls becoming a smushed mess on either side of his head. "You know how to ride?"

Maria nodded softly, even softer she spoke. "Yes."

"I'll leave yall to it." John said. "She'll be riding Arrow." He nodded with his head, gesturing to the all black horse. "That's her horse now."

Rip nodded in agreement and the two were left alone. "Hi."

"Hi." It came out as a mumble, she immediately wished she could fall off of the face of the earth. She repeated herself, blushing a bit. "Hi." It was still gentle, but loud enough.

He studied her for a bit, her skin was tan, her hair was almost down to her knees and just about as black as her new horse was. "You guys compliment each other well." He stepped aside to unlock the stable. "We just groomed him so your timing is perfect." He grabbed a lead and wrapped it around the horses neck to guide him out into the walk way. "This is Arrow."

She smiled as he looked back toward her and he paused for a second, his eyebrows raised. "Wow." He said. "That smile of yours is dangerous, girl."

She blushed again, lifting her hand to pet the horse as a giggle came out. That was the first time she could make a smile since her parent's accident. "I'll get him saddled up. You sure you know how to ride?" She nodded but stayed quiet, she didn't want to over share if he wasn't asking. But then he did ask, so she had no choice. "Where you from anyway?"

"Texas." She removed her hand, setting it back to her side as she watched him toss the saddle over the horses back. "El Paso, my parents own the Sol Y Luna Ranch."

Rip stopped, looking at her for a second. "Oh." Was all he could say. The conversation went quiet and suddenly he realized why she was on The Dutton Ranch. "I'm sorry." He approached. "I heard about it down the grapevine, had no idea they were your parents."

She shrugged. "I'll be alright, just too young to take over the ranch. It's moments like these where being the only child sucks."

He noticed her accent, he had never heard anybody with that accent in real life. "So you're Mexican?" It came out like word vomit and he regretted it as soon as it spilled out.

She furrowed her eyebrows for a second but wasn't offended or anything, she knew he was just curious. "Yes." She answered. "I am."

"We don't see much of that on this ranch." He tightened the straps. "Sorry." He motioned her over, implying he wanted to help her get onto the horse. He locked his fingers together, kneeling down. He corrected his posture a few times, having her step on his interlocked hands so see if it was sturdy enough. When they couldn't get it right, he stood up. "I'll carry you."

She knew she didn't need help getting on the horse, but she watched him struggle and stress until he stood up straight and grabbed her arm to bring her closer to him. His hands wrapped around her waist, lifting her t-shirt up a bit. When his fingers brushed over her exposed skin, the hair on her body flared up, causing goosebumps to arise all over. She jumped away, clearing her throat awkwardly.

Rip worried, his eyes going wide. "Did I hurt you? Are you okay?"

Maria stumbled over her words for a bit, "yes, I'm sorry, I don't know what happened—I–I'm sorry."

"No, it's okay, I'm sorry—I just." He huffed. "I have a girlfriend."

She was taken aback. "I'm–I- sorry?"

He mentally cursed himself as he brought his hand to his face and massaged his stressed temples. "I don't know why I said that, I wasn't implying that you were implying anything I was just-"

"I think we can save the ride for another day." She smiled awkwardly, taking a step away.

"She's not my girlfriend—we just kiss sometimes and she confuses me–" He babbled on as Maria began to turn the other direction.

"It was nice to meet you, Rip." She caressed the horse one more time before she walked around him. "I'm gonna go find my room and get settled. See you later."

He watched her walk away and damned himself. "I'm such an idiot."