Caramel - Chapter Four

The sun peaked over the field, making the roosters happy enough to sing. That's how Maria felt, happy enough to sing.

Kayce looked up at her as he laid on his stomach, the blanket covering his lower half. "Do you think we could grow to love each other?"

She looked down at him, holding the sheets to her bare chest. "Maybe." She shrugged. "It's looking like I'm not going anywhere anytime soon, so I guess we'll find out."

He thought for a second, then rolled onto his side, propping his head up with his hand. "Did it hurt you?"

She blushed. "I was too distracted to tell."

He hummed, pouting a lip, not knowing how to take that sentence. "Did you like it?"

A giggle escaped her lips and a smile spread on his own pair. "Did you, Kayce?" She questioned jokingly.

With a nod he answered her rhetorical question. "I did."

Before she could say anything, the sound of the barn doors swinging caused them both to lift their heads. When they couldn't get a good view of the window, they both stood and walked over to the window. She wrapped the sheets on her naked body, peaking out. Rip was just outside of the barn, filling tanks with water. He seemed lost in thought before he instinctively looked up toward the window they were standing in. Kayce and Maria shared a glance, thinking he hadn't saw them. He did, but bit down on the toothpick in his mouth to hide the jealousy brewing in his chest.

"I have to go." Kayce mumbled, reaching for his pants. "I really hope he doesn't tell my father." He scrambled around trying to put his pants on. "That's the last thing we need right now."

"I don't think he saw us." She did the same, sliding her clothing on. "Even if he did, why would he tell your dad?"

"I hope not." He tucked his shirt in, leaning forward for a small kiss. "Forget it. I'll see you at breakfast?"

"Maybe." He smiled at her teasing, then slipped through the door without another word. "Fuck." She whispered to herself. She slid her hands into her messy hair, tugging at the roots.

Neither of them had slept, they spent the whole night wrapped in each other's arms. She smiled at the thought, but her smile disappeared when someone knocked on her door. Her hands fell to her side, her heart beating rapidly. They had been caught, surely.

She cleared her throat, in attempt to sound confident. "Come in."

The door opened and John peaked in. "Hey, you're up. Good morning."

"Mornin' sir." She smiled, motioning him in with a hand. "Come on in." She walked toward a suitcase she had yet to unpack, picking it up and a tossing it onto the bed.

"John." He said. "Call me John, honey." He pushed the door open and stepped inside the room. "What do you know about grooming horses?" He watched as she unzipped the suite case, pulling out folded jeans.

She hummed, setting the pairs onto the unmade bed. "Just about as much as you do, sir." She joked, noticing his eyebrows propped up, "John. Sorry."

"Okay well..." He had an amused smile on his lips. "I think you may know more about this horse than I do." He began to close the door. "Get dressed, meet me by the barn." Before he closed the door he pushed it open again. "Oh and hey!" He pointed a finger toward the large window. "No peeking."