Caramel - Chapter Six

"Mornin' gentlemen." Maria tipped her hat as she passed John and Kayce, they stood leaned over the corral, their eyes squinted from the beaming sun.

"Mornin' beautiful." Kayce smiled, stopping her in her beeline for the barn. "Hey. Uh-uh." He shook his head. "No more riding 'till we know it's safe. You're coming to town with me."

"Well can I get my 'good morning' in before you two walk away and forget I was ever standing here?" John stood straight, offering a one sided hug and a tease-full chuckle. "Good morning sweetheart. How are you feeling this morning?"

She huffed at Kayce, but turned to John, holding her hands behind her back as she tried to find a comfortable way to stand. "Exhausted, restless." She shrugged, cupping a hand over her forehead to block the sun. "And I woke up with this weird pain on my side but that could be anything."

Kayce's eyebrows became worried as they came together. "Do you need anything? You should probably go lay down and we'll–"

"I'm fine." She took a side step as he tried to embrace her. "You know I'm a human being right? Not made of glass, I promise."

"I'm with Kayce." John said. "Is it serious pain?"

"No." She shook her head. "I'm fine. I swear." She tried her best to have a reassuring smile on her face but Kayce didn't believe her. He was so over protective and overbearing, she was growing a little frustrated and annoyed. As if she had eaten something sweet and the taste was lingering.

"Okay well," Kayce wrapped an arm around her, guiding her toward the truck. "If you feel anything at all, no matter how uncomfortable it is you let me know. You hear?"

She nodded, yet again. "Where are we going?"

"Breakfast in town." He looked back as he heard his father calling his name, but he kept talking. "Thought we could make it a thing. One sec, baby."

She watched as he was motioned over by John, when she turned her body to walk, she felt a small jolt of pain in her side, but brushed it off. She continued to walk toward the two's conversation overhearing that she was basically not having breakfast in town witch Kayce. She knew how much he respected John and if John asked for something to get done, it would and fast.

He shot her an apologetic look as John explained what had to get done, then John turned to speak to her. "Maria." He stated, motioning her closer so she could listen better. "Have Rip take you into town. Get some warm weather clothes." she opened his wallet, handing her a plastic card. "Whatever you need."

"Oh." She shook her head a bit. "No it's okay I didn't really even want to go into town, it was Kayce's idea."

"I'll have him meet you in the truck." He began to walk away, handing her the card and keys.

She sighed, shrugging. "Okay."

"Sorry baby, I'll make it up to you later." He leaned in to peck her cheek before beginning in the direction John was going.

The bunk house door closed behind them and about two minutes later, Rip walked out of it, shutting it after. He walked toward her, a stale look on his face. "You got the keys?" Maria nodded, opening her hand to show the keys resting in her palm. He grabbed them without looking at her, "let's go." She followed behind him, he swung the door open for her, letting her hop inside before he shut it and made his way to the other side.

The ride into town seemed eternal, it was quiet and awkward. She attempted conversation, to which he would answer with couple worded sentences and mumbles. It had been weeks and he had barely spoken to her. She hadn't seen him around the ranch at all, she would just get the cold shoulder when she did happen to run into him.

After an hour of looking around the same boutique, which she left empty handed from, they found themselves walking along the sidewalk when she noticed a red and white boutique named 'baby's first rodeo'. She let out an excited gasp and went for the door.

"I don't want to go in there." Rip said, stopping her in her hot tracks.

"Why?" She raised her eyebrow in a puzzled look.

He shrugged. "Just don't."

"So don't." She returned the rude shrug and swung the door open, disappearing into the store.

He stood around for a bit, but as time went by he began to sweat, his hat becoming uncomfortable and his boots becoming humid. "Damn it." He muttered before stepping toward the door and walking in with an angry pull to it.

He saw her standing with a knit hat in her hands, observing it. She almost jumped when he got closer to her, but recognized his heavy, almost angry footsteps. She looked up at him with a smile that almost made him hug her and cry in her arms. "What would you want to have?"

His heart ached, as it physically fell to the bottom of his stomach. He watched how she looked at the item with such adoration as if it was a living thing or a prized trophy. He sniffed, but didn't say anything and she inhaled a heavy breath. "You can go if you want, I'll call Kayce when I'm done."

He shook his head softly. "I don't think the world needs any more of me."

She looked up and for the first time in three weeks, he made eye contact with her. It seemed as if the statement he just made hurt her. He saw hurt run through her eyes as they glared over. She set the piece of cheap fabric down and took a couple steps closer to him, so her next sentence was intimate. 

They stared at each other for a bit, and she smiled, "I think any baby would be lucky to have those eyes."

A smile threatened to escape, but before he could say anything she grabbed her side, wincing. His hands shot toward her, worried. "You okay?"

She took his hand, regaining her posture as she took deep, sharp breaths. "I'm fine, I've just been having this pain on my side. I probably slept the wrong way or something.

"Okay, well you scared me. Do you need–"She winced again and he held her by her waist, helping her sit down on a bench nearby. As she sat, her eyes grew big, he noticed. "What?" She reached down toward the back of her skirt, standing with a bend at her knees. "What!" He all but yelled. She lifted her hand to her view, her eyes filling with tears as she noticed the dark red substance, Rip saw it, his voice getting caught in his throat. "Oh no."