Caramel - Chapter Twenty One

Rip had been looking for Maria for hours. Not once had it crossed his mind to check on their back porch. But after two and a half hours, he slid the back door open, to find her sitting on a lounge chair, a bottle in her hand as she looked up at the stars.

"Long day, darling?" He popped the cap off of his own beer and took a seat next to her. She was drunk, he could tell when she didn't answer but kept her eyes looking up. "Baby?" She looked over at him, it was then he realized she wasn't just drunk, she was high. He sighed, standing up to help her get to her feet. "This is never the answer."

She shook her head as he attempted to help her up. "I'm good." She brought the glass bottle to her lips. He noticed it wasn't beer, it was whiskey.

"What's going on, Maria?" He stopped his attempt, spitting his toothpick out onto the deck.

"I'm so.." She slurred. "Unhappy."

He kneeled down until he was face level to her. "Maria." He almost scolded her, but that was enough for her to look into his eyes. The mascara on her cheeks and her bloodshot eyes broke his heart. "What's going on?" She began to bring the bottle to her lips, but he took it from her, setting it down next to his boot. "Talk to me." When she said nothing, he began to brainstorm a way to make her feel better. "Come here."

He took her hand, bringing her to her feet slowly. In her drunk state, she was able to form a question. "What are you doing?"

"Sweetheart." He said, pulling his phone from his pocket. He clicked around for a second, then music began to play from the old device. "I've never told you this before." He took her hand with one of his, wrapping his free one around her waist as he pulled her close to help her stand. "I can vividly remember the moment I fell in love with you again." She set her head on his chest as he began to sway to the music. "I came home and played this song probably a million times."

She held him tightly, feeling herself become dizzy. It was then she regretted relapsing. "Marry me." He said.

She lifted her head. "We already did this."

"I'm doing it again." He chuckled softly, she felt his chest vibrate. "Marry me."

She formed a smile. "You can ask me that a million times and I would say yes a million and one." She nodded. "Yes, baby."

He kissed her head as they continued to sway. "It's not gonna get easier."

"What?"

"Life." He sighed. "But knowing I can come home to you is what's been keeping me going, sweetheart."

"Promise me." She stopped swaying, holding her hand on the back of his neck. "You'll always come home to me."

He pressed a tender kiss to her lips. "I promise you."

Her hand went from the back of his neck down to the exposed skin on his chest. She felt the scar on the tip of her fingers. "Prove it." He tilted his head in confusion, dropping her hand into the air. It fell to her side and with the other, she unbuttoned his shirt. "This is my home." She nodded. "Forever."

He realized what she meant, she wanted the branding. His face fell and he set his hands on his hips as he huffed. "I'll never tell you no." He shook his head. "But this is where I draw the line."

"You don't get to make that decision for me." She stated. "You just get to support me through it."

He sighed, knowing she wasn't going to let up. "I can't do that for you."

"Then don't."

She went to walk away but he stopped her by grabbing her hand. "John." He said. "He's the one that can do that for you." She raised an eyebrow and he nodded. "You're gonna break his heart."

"Some hearts are meant to be broken." She dropped his hand. "Let's go."

He watched as she walked off of the porch, beginning down the hill. He had no choice but to follow her, she was stubborn and the fight wasn't worth it.

When she entered the Dutton house, she called out for John. As he turned the corner, he noticed Rip standing behind her with a worried face. Then he noticed his unbuttoned shirt and he knew exactly what was going on.

"No." He said, shaking his head. "Hell no."

"You can't change my mind." She stepped toward him, sobering up with the look on his face. "I'd die for you." She said. "I'd kill for you."

John sighed, sticking his thumb into his front pocket as he leaned against the wall. He nodded at Rip. "What do you think about this?"

"I'm not his dog." She answered. "You're my father. This is what I want."

Rip shrugged at John, almost telling him not to waste his breath cause it would get him no where with her. "Okay." He finally said. "Fine, sweetheart." He reached for his hat. "Rip, get me the iron. Meet me outside in ten."

"Wait." Maria watched as he began toward the stairs. "You're going to do it?"

"Who else?" He asked.

Rip reached for her hand, tugging her in the direction of the door. "Let's go, honey."

She followed him like a lost puppy, her heart pounded in her ears as he guided her toward an empty area of the woods. She sat on a log as he began to prepare a fire, she started to have second thoughts.

"There's no going back after this." He reached behind a tree, pulling a black branding iron into view.

"I don't want to go back." She shook her head. "I already have it on the inside."

Rip offered a small smile as he set the iron into the fire. "Now you'll have the scar to match."

Footsteps crunched the dry grass beneath them, gaining the couples attention. John stood before them, a hard to read expression on his face.

He reached for the iron without a word, there wasn't much he had to say about it, unless it was to try and talk her out of it. But he knew it would be a waste of time, so he didn't.

"Listen to me." Rip kneeled next to her, taking her hand in his. "You squeeze my hand." He handed her a stick straight off of the ground. "And you bite this, whatever you do, don't spit it out or you will break every tooth in that pretty little mouth of yours." John presented the iron, portraying he was ready. "You squeeze my hand til you break it, darling. You hear?" She nodded, pulling her shirt down to expose her upper breast. She bit down on the stick, feeling the heat get closer to her skin.

"I love you." Was all John said, pressing the iron to her skin. She was paralyzed in pain, the iron was so hot it almost felt cold.

Rip set his head against hers, shutting his eyes tightly. It almost physically hurt him to see her in such pain. Then it was over, John removed the iron and the grip she had on his hand let off.

John gave her a soft smile before dropping the iron and walked away without another word.