xiv. lessons with uncle moony

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

"Now, are you sure about this Harry?" remus asks, "This is very advanced magic well beyond the Ordinary Wizarding Level."

"—I'm sure." he responds eagerly.

"well everything's prepared." remus said as he walks down the stairs, "now the spell I'm going to teach you is called the Patronus Charm — did you ever hear of it?" he asks earning a shake of the head making him continue, "no? well— a patronus is a positive force. For the wizard who conjures one. . it works like a shield, with the dementor feeding on it . . rather than him.

but in order for it to work— you need to think of a memory. Not just any memory, a very happy memory, a very powerful memory.

"can you do this?" he finishes, earning a nod from the boy. "yes? very well— close your eyes, concentrate, explore your past. . do you have a memory?" earning a nod in return, "allow it to fill you up, lose yourself within— then speak the incantation. ."

"expecto patronum."

"expecto patronum." the boy repeats under his breath.

"very good." remus praises and opens the box up to start, "shall we? wand at the ready."

Remus opens the box and a dementor boggart flies out making harry gasp before calling out 'expecto patronum!"

"expecto. . expecto—" he faints.

"Here we go— come on, deep breaths." remus conforms whilst helping the boy up, "it's alright. . I didn't except for you to do it the first time— that would've been remarkable." he said before giving him some chocolate, "here eat this, you'll feel better."

"In a matter of interest, what were you thinking?" Remus asked, "what memory did you choose."

"The first time I rode a broom."

"That's not good enough, nearly enough."

"There's another, it's not happy exactly but it's the happiest I've ever felt— but it's complicated." Harry said.

"Is it strong?"

Harry nods silently.

"Then let's give it a try, you feel ready?" Remus starts.

"Do it."

"expecto patronum— expecto. .

"expecto patronum!"

he does the spell correctly, earning a congratulations from remus, "just so you know Harry, I think you'd given your father a run of his money— and that is saying something!" he laughs, "Wait till you tell Sirius he'll be so jealous!"

"I was thinking of him— dad," Harry said, "and mum. . seeing their faces, they were talking to me. Just talking. That's the memory I chose."

"—I don't even know if it's real." He adds, "but it's the best I have."

★ ★ ★

"Beautiful day—" Hermione states as the golden trio walk out into the courtyard.

"—gorgeous," Ron continues, before turning sarcastic, "unless you've been ripped to pieces!"

"Ripped to pieces?" Asked Harry, "What are you talking about?"

"Ronald has lost his rat." Hermione sighs.

"I haven't lost anything," he denies, "your cat killed him!"

"rubbish."

"Harry— you've seen the way that bloodthirsty beast of hers is always lurking around. . now scabbers is gone."

"Maybe you should learn to take better care of your pets." she retorts.

"Your cat killed him"

"Did not—"

"—Did."

They went to Hagrids to ask how buckbeaks hearing went and He told the trio how Malfoy was able to give the hippogriff a sentence to death.

★ ★ ★

"Spiders! Theres— there's spiders. . spiders! they want me to tap-dance!" Ron cries frantically, after waking up from a nightmare, "I don't want to tap-dance."

"You tell those spiders Ron." Harry says in a sarcastic tone.

"Yeah I'll tell them. ." Ron mutters in response before falling asleep making harry roll his laugh with a smirk on his face.

Harry continues to eat chocolate whilst looking at the map to spot the name Peter Pettigrew— which makes him sit up confused.

He left his bed and ventured out towards the name with the map and his wand. Whilst doing so the paintings start to get angry at him for the light causing him to get distracted.

He looks back on the map to see Severus Snape behind him, causing him to scowl.