Preview

"Rowan....Rowan....Mr. Hyun waking up, this is not nap time!"

I slowly open my eyes and yawn while I stretch. I accidentally hit Kyle's face with my hand. I mumble "sorry" as I loosely sit down on my chair. I try hard not to fall asleep once again, when I overhear, Tim talking to Steve.

" That's crazy, I would be scared if I saw that... I would never want to go to Corville again."

"No man, listen it only happened once and it was probably a Hallucination.. and it happened to the people involved in the Corville tragedy."

"Still maybe she's haunting that place, since like at least three people died there."

"I don't know, like I said my brother wants to interview all the survivors and I think its probably just the beginning these people are going to get bombarded with people trying to get as much information as possible."

"It happened twenty years ago, do you really think people care, well besides your brother?"

"Yes, they care, especially since everything is resurfacing and it's like the twenty anniversary of the tragedy."

"Hey Tim, I heard that some of the survivors settled here in Sietz."

"Why are you whispering all of a sudden?"

"Because....they have a kid our age....and I think I know who it is."

"Who is it!?!?"

"Timmothy and Steven settle down will you."

"It's Rowan, I'm sure..."

"Why are you guys talking about me?"

"uuuu....well....just don't get offended or sensitive about it if you want you can answer..."

"What do you want?!"

"Rowan will you settle down, I'm allowing this time for you to do your assignments not for you to be sleeping or yelling at each other."

"What do you want?" I say between my teeth.

Tim looks at Steve and nudges him to tell me.

"Well, I heard that you are related to some of the survivors of the Corville accident about twenty years ago."

"Yes, I am, and?"

"Can I get an interview with them?"

"No"

"Why, it's for my older brother."

"I said no"

The bell rings, I hurry take my stuff and almost run out of the classroom. Tim and Steven catch up to me.

"Come on, let me talk to your parents..."

"No," I say as I run off.

I reached my dad's grey ram truck, thinking I had escaped but Tim and Steven followed behind me.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Padilla" they greet my dad.

It's over...

My pa Aitor cheerfully greets them. There is no stopping my dad who is a total chatterbox. I try getting my dad to leave.

"Pa don't you have an important meeting with a client today?"

"Yes, I do...well then boys I'll see you later."

"Wait Mr. Padilla before you go, my older brother is doing a project based on the Cortville incident twenty years ago and I was wondering if you and your wife and any other survivor you know could be interviewed by my brother?"

"Ummm....sure I... I can but I'll have to talk to my wife and everyone else...later...later we can discuss this further."

"Thank you, sir...bye."

I glance over to see my dad as we drive away. How could he tell them he would interview if he disliked talking about that incident? I don't even know about it, so why are they allowed to know? I am angry as I am reminded of that phone call four years ago. The voice on the other end shouted that my mother was the real reason I could never have my parents by my side. Since then my anger has overpowered and I cannot seem to enjoy my parent's company, especially my mother's. By the time my dad had dropped me off, I was furious and had decided I had enough. I will know what happened twenty years ago and why my mother had caused that accident. Why she destroyed my family and why did she take me in? Who am I really and where do I come from? I will not remain in the shadows.