Three

Flashback

Liam's POV

I was happily playing in the playground when a child approached me and asked.

"Hello, what's your name?" he asked.

"Hi, I'm Liam. How about you?" I asked back.

"I'm Nathan Isaac but you can just call me Nathan," he said happily.

"Why are you alone?" I asked.

"I got lost, I can't find Mama," he said.

"Huh? Who brought you here then?" I asked in surprise.

"There they are!" he said, pointing to my parents.

We approached my parents and I asked them.

"Mom, where are Nathan's parents? And where did you find him?" I asked.

"Oh, it's a long story but we're working on a way to reunite Nathan with his family. So don't worry," Mom said with a smile.

"You take care of Nathan for now, okay Liam? Play with him while we wait for his guardian," Dad said, and I nodded in response.

A little later, my parents called us because Nathan's brother was already there.

"Nathan!" the man exclaimed, hugging Nathan.

"Thank you so much for taking care of Nathan, if it were anyone else, who knows where this kid would end up," he said gratefully.

"You're welcome, alright Liam, say goodbye to Nathan, he's going home now," Mom said.

"Bye Nathan, I had fun playing with you!" I said happily and waved my hand.

11 years ago...

I was 18 years old at this time and because of the incident with Nathan, we became really good friends since we also went to the same school.

We saw each other every day and went out together. We were happy until the time came when I had my first girlfriend.

Gwen.

Everything changed. I didn't spend as much time with Nathan anymore because I was always with Gwen. Of course, I loved Gwen and I would do anything for her.

One night, Nathan called me and said that Gwen was cheating on me and that she actually wanted him and not me. I was so angry at Nathan for saying that. I didn't know what he was talking about at that time. And because of that, I hung up on him and blocked his number.

A month passed without me paying attention to Nathan. Gwen and I were still together during that time. Nathan made a lot of effort to apologize to me but I never listened to him.

It's Thursday today and we're going home from school. I passed by the hallway where there weren't too many people so I could think but unfortunately...

"Liam..." Nathan said. I was about to leave when he spoke again.

"Liam, let me explain!" he said.

"Liam, I'm sorry-" I didn't let him finish his explanation.

"Sorry? You kissed my girlfriend, bro! You have the nerve to say that Gwen likes you but you're the one who also went for her! Where's your shame, bro? We're friends, but because of what you did, I will never forgive you. NEVER!" I said angrily.

"Love, Nathan likes -" I cut off Gwen's explanation. I didn't want to hear any explanation from either of them.

"And you, Gwen, if it's true that he's the one you want, then go to hell together. We're done," I said and left for good.

I ran from the 3rd floor of our building to its rooftop.

I couldn't breathe.

I needed air.

I was crying uncontrollably at this point and my body was giving in.

I saw Nathan coming towards me but I pretended not to notice him.

"Liam, please. I know you no longer believe me but what's in your mind isn't what really happened. The truth is-" I cut off whatever he was about to say.

"Please, Nathan. I want to be alone. What you did to me is not a joke. It hurts," I said.

He couldn't speak at that moment, only "sorry" was escaping his lips.

"Nathan, can I ask one last favor from you?" I asked while wiping away my tears.

"Anything, just forgive me."

Forgiveness. It's so easy for him to say because he wasn't the one who did it.

"I don't want to see you anymore, Nathan. I don't want us to have any connection anymore. I don't want you to call me anymore. I don't want..." I looked at him before saying the last word I would say to him.

"Us to be friends anymore," I said and then left him for good.

It's so painful to see your best friend and the girl you love the most kissing each other. I don't care who's right or wrong between the two of them.

My pride will prevail for now. I don't want to be too soft. I don't want to forgive too easily.

I'm done.

End of Flashback