Chapter 5

It's been 2 days since I last went hunting with Gale, we took the day yesterday to just relax, me and Prim spent the day baking and watching our favourite shows on our small television in the living room, mom spent the entire day in bed again. Is she ever going to come out of this? I think to myself, she has left me to look after Prim on my own.

It is pretty early in the morning, only about 630am. I decide to get up and head to the kitchen to make some eggs and bacon for me and Prim. A rare treat that we don't get very often. Prim has a big day today, this will be her first day back at school since dad passed away. I will save some bacon and eggs for mom in case she decides she wants some after.

Once the eggs and bacon are ready I head to wake up Prim.

Hey little duck, I made breakfast are you hungry?

She sighs and wipes her eyes, Yeah, she says in a tired sleepy voice, and gets out of bed. We head into the kitchen and I serve breakfast.

How are you feeling about school today Prim? I ask.

I'm not sure she replies, I still really miss dad, I don't know if I am ready.

You can do this, I say in an encouraging voice.

I wish I could give Prim more time to grieve the loss of our father but unfortunately the district only gives us so long so she has no choice but to go back.

We finish up breakfast and Prim heads to get ready while I clean up.

Mom? I say as I walk into her room, I am going to take Prim to school, I made breakfast, you should eat.
No thank you, I'm not hungry right now. She whispers.
Mom, you have barely eaten anything, I say, this isn't healthy!
I know, but I can't help it, she says.
Ok, well I'm going to take Prim to school now and then go hunting. At least try to get up for a bit, I tell her,  she doesn't say anything so I walk out of the room and get ready to take Prim to school.

Prim, are you almost ready I ask?
Yeah, she replies, coming out of the room.
Your tail is sticking out little duck, I say as I tuck in the back of her shirt. She smiles and we head out the door.

Prim's school is only about a 15 minute walk so not super far.
What are you going to do today? Prim asks in a curious voice.
Do you remember Gale? You met him on Saturday.
The handsome one?
I blush, Prim! I say with a giggle, she smiles. I love seeing Prim smile.
Yes, I reply, I'm going to go hunting with him again today.

Oh, I see Prim replies.
Do you like him? She asks
No! Not in that way I say laughing.
The rest of the walk we try to keep conversation going to keep the mood light.

We arrive at Prims school about 5 minutes later, she gives me one final hug and she heads inside.

Have a good day little duck! I'll see you after school. She turns and smiles as she walks away.

****************************************

Authors note

Hey guys! I know it's been a while since I posted a chapter. Hope you are enjoying the story so far. Life has been crazy but I will try to post more soon.