Croissant City - 7

Sweat slicked down Axel's arms while he stood over the oven. Isaac slept atop the bed all splayed out, big belly snoring and everything. Axel's internal clock was well aware it was time for sleep but he pushed past it, knowing he was inching closer and closer to getting the croissants just right.

His hands ached more than anything else. He had his shirt tied up around his head to keep the sweat trapped and cool him down from being exposed to constant waves of heat. Magic sizzled at the tips of his fingers as it laced through the tools he'd used, particularly the oven.

The croissants crisped to the perfect point. Axel bit into one and leaned his head back in successful bliss.

Magic had been the key. Not necessarily using magical ingredients—that was sort of easy enough to come up with. No, he needed to pour his own magic into it. He needed to, in a way, invigorate the ingredients to entice them into working with him.

In much the same way that the Sword of Kureon was a weapon of great power in the hands of one worthy, without an imbuing of one's own magic the sword was going to always remain great, not almighty.

He knew he'd have to come face-to-face with the question of how he made the croissants so well. The process was only becoming further detached from reality with every passing moment.

Axel rested his weary hands, snapping the connection between his magic and the ingredients and oven that he'd kept burning at a consistent pace through the morning. Or, afternoon...what time was it, exactly?

Time for a bath.

Isaac was still asleep when he got out of the bath. Axel unwrapped the towel from around his bare body, using it to dry up any hard-to-get spots, and only had time to pick up a shirt when a knock came from the window.

He froze. Isaac glanced over, also roused in a confused state.

"Yes?" Axel asked butterflies in his stomach. Had someone climbed up to speak with him?

"Don't think you can sweeten the city with that scent of yours and pretend someone won't come asking questions," an awfully pretty voice said. "Mind if I have a bite?"

Isaac sat up a bit more. Axel's heart pumped and he stepped boldly to the balcony door, loosely putting the towel around his waist so the good people of Itucz didn't see all of him. He grabbed the door tight with one hand and made sure the towel was still wrapped around him.

"You can have whatever you—oh!"

Nina stood on the balcony, her hair done in the fashion of the city while she wore some of the newer trends the people of the city had taken on—a flowing yellow dress in a rippling pattern with gems creating a pattern down the sides.

She wasn't alone.

The Phoenix of Itucz, in a fine suit, stood next to her, a wide grin on his face.

"You were right," Phoenix said. "He is looking good."

"When did you get here?" Axel asked, tightening the towel.

"After I sensed she arrived," Phoenix said.

"Couldn't have said anything?" Axel asked, directly to his wife.

"It wouldn't have been funny. Oh! Isaac! Hi, buddy."

Nina scrambled into the room. Isaac hoisted his arms to be held and Nina swept him up. Axel closed the door behind the Phoenix and stepped into the other room to change.

"Were you up all night?" Phoenix asked when Axel emerged

"Most of it, I guess," Axel said. So, it was morning time.