Chapter Forty-Five: Lazula Scans for Time

Lazula became aware of herself and so had always been aware of herself. That was what it meant to be sentient. Lazula, however, had only just become aware that she was aware of herself.

It was as if she had been walking through life like a dream. And after nearly getting chopped to pieces by an axe, she had come alive.

And Tef had been busy.

Looking unhappily at the ripped-up vest, she folded it and wondered if it could be repaired. It probably would never be the same.

"Now comes the difficult part, does it not?" asked Dakan, walking just a little ahead of her.

"My clothes are wrecked," said Lazula, scanning around them in case anyone followed. "Ugh, I haven't seen any stores dedicated to dresses or anything since I got here."

"I doubt very much you would," said Dakan. "In this world, such things are custom-tailored by specialists. The Weavers Guild might be a good choice. But it would take the time we do not have.

"Perhaps when you return to Kadan. Or you might speak to your contacts on Falcov."

"They don't talk to me anymore. I'll switch to my spares when we have a room," said Lazula, wondering if there was any shampoo or showers.

Probably not.

They came to the temple, and it was...

Pretty okay.

There were a lot of stones and pillars and probably no air conditioning. Lazula wasn't sensing any power systems. Maybe some magical air conditioning or something. Either way, there was a heavy guard at the front. Lazula wondered if they were watching for something.

Their heart rates were just slightly elevated, and they looked around intently.

"Hold, state your business," said a man-wolf hybrid thing.

"I am Dakan, an emissary of the Demoration," said Dakan. "This is my bodyguard, Lazula. We beg an audience with the High King for certain interests."

"I'm sure you are," said the man-wolf, obviously not impressed. "I am Ajax, Chief of the High Kings police. Stay here."

And he bounded off very quickly.

The guards stepped out of his way well before he arrived, and he tore off into the temple without a word. Lazula felt this guy would not be someone they could get on their side. He seemed like the loyal soldier type.

Also, he was physically superior to virtually anyone Lazula had sensed. Narcissa was a close one, and William was in peak physical condition with extra strength. But Lazula doubted anyone could move as fast as Wolf Boy.

In terms of looks, both were cute. But Ajax was about a nine, while William looked like he would be a ten. Tef probably picked him because they met at Carn Gable. Hang Cirithil and trade up in the process.

"Anything?" asked Dakan.

"This area is well-guarded," said Lazula, activating her infrared scanners in her eyes. "I can't see inside with my sensors at all. Someone is blocking me; it looks magical, maybe by ward. Ajax, though, has bio scans akin to a metahuman.

"He's much stronger and faster than ordinary.

"Also, he can hear far better, and his eyesight is probably a lot keener."

"He is a werewolf," said Dakan.

Ajax came back rapidly. "High King Relma will see you.

"Disarm first."