Chapter 44

After they had managed to get off the island by crossing the river to the other side by an old grain facility after realizing they couldn't drive off the island like they could before, Saphira was leaning against some rubble looking at Bee's body while Arcee tended to her wounds. She had tried to do a bit before, but she didn't get much time since they had to cross the river, though Saphira was at least dry. She did have to take her jacket and shirt off though, so she was only sitting in her singlet, even though it was cold. Her shoulder was bandaged now, and Arcee was wrapping her legs after cleaning the blood around the wounds.

But while Saphira was grateful for her help, everyone around her all had the same feeling. Even their new friend was feeling sympathetic. Though not much had been said since they all knew what had happened. Bumblebee was dead, and they were all grieving. Saphira was upset with herself, because the key was now in the possession of Scourge. Though she still did not know what they were yet, considering they had only just been attacked. But clearly, they weren't much of a match for the autobots, and that was not good.

Arcee sighed softly as she finished wrapping the wounds on Saphira's legs and looked at her with a smile. "Feeling better?" Saphira looked at the femme and shook her head. "Yeah, me too." She glanced at Bee's body and looked away with a grimace. "This is not how things should have gone. I am sorry you had to go through that."

"It wasn't just me...everyone did." She sniffled softly and looked up at Optimus. He was still injured, but he had wanted Saphira to be looked after first. He had been watching Arcee closely to ensure that Saphira would be okay. "I'm sorry, Optimus. I didn't mean to lose the key...that bot...whatever it was, she took it from my hands. She almost broke my arm in the process...but I didn't mean to lose it."

Optimus softened his expression as he gazed at her. "Saphira, I am not angry at you." His voice was filled with pain and sorrow as he spoke to her. "I cannot be angry for something that is not you fault. I am angry and those who attacked us...and took someone close from us." He gazed at Bumblebee for a moment and grimaced. "Though it seems...the key unintentionally drew those to it...I wish I could have known, so you would not have been put in such danger."

Saphira smiled at him. "It wouldn't be the first time I've had a bot try to kill me, Optimus." Optimus grumbled and turned away from her. "But I know...you wouldn't have allowed it if we knew this Scourge was coming." Her smile faded quickly and grimaced a little as Arcee hands checks her arms and neck to make sure the injuries she had sustained there were not deep, though they were stinging. "Do you know who he is?"

"I am afraid this is the first time we have encountered him," Arcee responded gently to the girl. The femme was satisfied and stood up with a smile. "You do not have any severe injuries. Aside from the wound on your shoulder and wounds on your legs, which you should keep an eye on as well, you will be fine." Saphira nodded as she was happy about that, but she was still upset. "I wish I could answer more questions for you, Saphira."

"We all do." Mirage walked over and sat on a metal box by Saphira, looking at her kindly. "When the lights went out as you were walking into the museum, I was thinking we were about to see kind of paranormal activity or something. But...I think that would have been better than this."

"Yeah..." Saphira looked at Bee's body again and let out a soft sob. She certainly wished for things to be different. She knew that the bots would risk dying going back to Cybertron, but she wouldn't know unless told. But seeing him being killed really was hard. "Could he not be fixed?"

"We aren't machines like your cars and trucks, Saphira. We might look like robots, but are alive, like you," Arcee explained to the girl gently. "We would need the rawest form of energon to revive him, but we have no possession of that, and even if we fix the damage done to his body, his spark is out." Saphira sighed softly, knowing the question she had asked was incorrect. She had hoped it was possible, but she understood what she was saying. "I know you want to have him back, we all do, but I am afraid fixing him will not bring him back. It will only give him dignity."