five

As days went by, Juliette sat in the living room, spending her time reading books since she wasn't allowed to wander into the forest anymore. And she didn't want to meet the duke anyway. Her heart felt heavy imagining all the dead animals unburied after the cruel duke finished with his hobby.

"Jules," her father's voice woke her up from her trance. She immediately stood up and put the book aside. She examined her father from head to toe before asking, "Are you going to the military site?"

"Yes, they needed me there. Something about invaders. You stay here and take care of your mother."

"Can I come with you? I don't know what to do here. I can't even do anything other than read books and help the maids."

"Are you sure? Being at the military site is more boring than being here."

She sighed before plopping herself on the sofa, "I just need to be outdoors. Please, Dad. It's been a while since I tagged along to the site. Can I?"

What fathers could say no to their daughters when their daughters are being clingy and adorable? Viscount William's lips curved into a small smile before he nodded, "Alright, come."

She immediately jumped off the sofa excitedly before linking arms with her father. They both headed out of the house and got into the car. As the driver began turning on the engine and drove away, the viscount couldn't help but glance at his daughter.

"Did something happen during the ball? You went home too early."

"Nothing. I just felt bored and left."

He nodded since he knew his daughter did not want to engage in that type of conversation. Juliette bit her bottom lip hesitantly before asking, "Dad, since you are a viscount, do the people from higher status treat you like dirt?"

"What do you mean? What type of higher status?"

"I don't know. A marquis. Or maybe a duke. An earl maybe?"

"No. We are noble. Why would they? It's not like we live off the streets and beg for food like those commoners."

"Yes," she trailed off before resting her head against the car window.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"Major General William!" A few of the soldiers came to the father and daughter before saluting. Juliette flinched in surprise before looking at her father. He had a straight expression plastered on his face as he nodded.

"Make yourself useful, Juliette. Go around and ask the soldiers if they need any help," the man said before being escorted to the main tent.

She watched from behind and sighed, wondering where she should go first. It wasn't like she was unfamiliar with the site. She often tagged along with her father when she was little and the soldiers there adored her.

But now that she was entering her young adulthood, everything felt so foreign there. She wondered if the old generals who used to help babysit her were still there.

She kept wandering, greeting the other young soldiers as she passed by. Her smile brightened when she saw a familiar soldier walking while being escorted by a few men.

"Uncle George!"

The General's lips curved into a wide grin as soon as he saw the girl he used to babysit when Viscount William was busy. Juliette scurried towards him cheerfully, "It's been a while! I thought I'd never see you again."

"What are you talking about? Of course, I would be here. Someone's got to make sure everything goes smoothly around here."

She chuckled and bowed as a sign of respect to the other young soldiers behind him. General George then walked together with her around the site, "So are you here to help your father? Or are you just here to wander around."

"He told me to help around here and make myself useful. Is there anything I can do here?"

The old man thought for a while before saying, "Why don't you go around and ask?"

She obeyed and bid goodbyes before exploring the site. She went and asked around whether her fellow soldiers needed help and all of them declined politely.

"Lady Juliette! Why don't you go into that tent? I heard that the Major needed help with his documents," one of the young soldiers said. She looked at him confusingly before pointing at the tent before her, "That tent?"

The man nodded. She grinned, "Alright! Thank you."

She approached the tent and cleared her throat before slowly walking in. A man was stressfully arranging the documents on his desk as he cursed under his breath. His back was facing her so she couldn't see his face.

She took a step forward before asking, "May I help you, sir?"

He sighed out of frustration, "Since when a lady is allowed to be here–"

He turned around and looked at her in shock. She took a step back in disbelief, seeing the annoying Duke standing before her.

"Pardon me for bothering you," she instantly said before leaving.

"What are you doing?" He asked in his arrogant tone. She slowly turned around confusingly, "What?"

"I heard that a Major General brought his daughter with him to help around. Didn't expect it would be you," Jake scoffed as he looked at her up and down.

"You seem like you don't need any, Your Grace."

"What are you talking about," he arched an eyebrow before pushing the documents off the desk, "Pick them up."

She took a deep breath before approaching the documents, picking them up one by one. He watched her before stepping on her hand. She winced in pain, "Your Grace," she called with gritted teeth.

He squatted down to look at her before tilting her chin to make her face him, "You dared to spill your wine at me during the ball."

Her hand began trembling as he stepped on it with more pressure. "You deserved it," she smirked.

He let go of her chin before standing up, "Do your job silently. Nothing good is going to happen if you keep talking with your filthy mouth."

She began picking up the papers in a hurried manner before slamming them on the desk. "Why the hell do you treat me like this? I am not a commoner or a beggar. Yet, you treat me like I do not belong in society."

He scoffed, amused at her reaction, "Why do you think?"

He stepped closer to her and held her chin again. His thumb traced over her face until it landed on her lips. He smirked, "You're interesting."