twenty-six

The night before the ball was hectic as everyone was preparing their best outfit to earn the royal family's attention. However, the Duke was being laid back as ever as he spent most of his time in the town's bar. He drank his favourite liquor shot after shots and still his alcohol tolerance was higher than ever.

The bartender sighed as he wiped the clean glasses, "Your Grace, you should leave. What if people see you in this state? They'll take advantage of you."

"You," Jake pointed at the man before sighing. "What is missing in me?"

"Pardon?"

"Do you know how many letters I get from women every day? It's always them wishing for me to court them."

"So?" The bartender scowled a little as the conversation was not important to his job. He continued arranging the glasses on the rack. Jake rested his head on the table before tracing circles on it. "So why does Juliette refuse to be courted by me?"

"You should realise some women go for personality instead of looks and wealth."

"I have everything that anyone could ask for. Is she blind?"

"Well, you are a douche sometimes," the man mumbled under his breath. Jake raised his eyebrows, "What?"

"Nothing."

"I want Juliette so bad. I want her. I want to show Jay that she's mine. Oh how I want to tell the whole world she's mine," Jake whined and ran his fingers through his hair. The bartender slammed a glass on the table and frowned, "Your Grace, you should leave. I can't close the bar if you end up sleeping here."

"What a nice listener you are," Jake mocked sarcastically before putting on his coat. "Hope to not see you again, Your Grace," the man smiled and watched as the Duke disappeared from his sight.

Jake inhaled the fresh night air and took off his coat, letting the cold breeze brush against his skin. As he headed to the plaza, his eyes caught a familiar figure sitting by the fountain, poking her finger in the water.

His lips curved into a smirk as he made his way towards her. "Are you not scared of perverts or robbers? Since you're sitting here alone."

Juliette's peaceful mind instantly became hostile as she stood up, giving the Duke her full attention. "I would be more scared of bumping into you instead of those perverts and robbers you're talking about."

"Why?" He scoffed sarcastically before sitting by the fountain, wondering what she was so entranced about while staring at it.

"You might insult me. Maybe you would be nice? But that's just for a moment until you return to your douchebag personality again. You might step on my hand like before, maybe ruin my sketchbook."

"So you're holding grudges against me."

"It would be a lie if I don't."

"You don't seem to understand, Juliette. I won't ever leave you. I will go wherever you go."

"You're crazy, Your Grace. Why the hell would you do that?" She felt her blood boil due to his stubbornness.

"I will really follow you everywhere. But here, people call it a marriage proposal. So consider this as a proposal then."

"Why would I marry a bastard?"

"So you want to marry Jay then?" He rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. Juliette glowered in disbelief, seeing how unintelligent he was.

"Don't you understand? I don't want anything to follow with you and that includes your friends and family."

She turned around to leave, hastening her pace. He immediately chased after her and grabbed her hand before breathing heavily. Her eyes widened in surprise before freeing herself from his grip.

"Juliette."

"I didn't even give you permission to call me so casually."

"You waited for me, right? You wished for me to return, right? If not, then you wouldn't stood in front of me at the military base."

"It's just a simple gesture–"

"Really?"

She exhaled and lowered her head, "I should leave, Your Grace. You are clearly intoxicated. We shall talk about this when you're in your right mind."

She began to leave him behind, making her way back to her home.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"Honey, why aren't you touching your tea?" Lady Jane asked as she touched the Viscount's teacup, "It has gone cold already."

"It's already late at night. I wonder where our daughter went. I'm worried, Jane."

"You know her. She just went to get her art supplies. She'll be back before you know it."

Suddenly, the doorbell rang, startling the both of them. Lady Jane waited for the maids to get to the door but it seemed like all of them were busy with their work. She sighed and went to the door before opening it, "Yes?"

A few men in royal attires stood up straight before approaching the door, "We have an order from the palace to arrest Viscount William for a murder."

The Viscountess widened her eyes in terror, "That's absurd! My husband can't even walk! He can't possibly be the murderer! When did this happen? What is this?"

Viscount William pushed himself to the door and asked, "Yes? Why? What is it?"

The guards forcefully picked him up and dragged him into the car before kicking his wheelchair to the side. Lady Jane ran after him but failed when one of the men pushed her away.

"William!" Lady Jane screamed, earning the servants' attention. Some of the maids held her to prevent her from getting hurt.

"It's okay, love! I'll be back safely! I promise!" Viscount William assured her although his heart was about to burst due to the anxiety.

"You are monsters! Release my husband!" The car drove away and Lady Jane managed to free herself from the maids. She ran after the car but failed, falling to the ground.