nineteen

Jake threw pebbles into the lake and watched as they skipped on the water. He felt impatient and eager, wondering if Juliette would respond to his letter.

He smiled to himself at how unpredictable she was. "Your Grace!" Johnny ran to him and bowed, "You have a letter!"

Jake immediately jumped in surprise and snatched the letter from the young soldier's hand. Juliette's name was written on the envelope and he could not help but grin out of excitement.

It was the first time Johnny was able to see his lord all happy and ecstatic. Jake tore the envelope and began reading the letter with a pounding heart, wondering what the lady would write.

Your Grace,

Thank you for your letter. You eased my fear of something unimaginable happening to my father. And thank you for making sure he's always alright. I could not express my gratitude even more than what you have done for me.

Your watch is safe with me so do not worry. I have to keep it carefully because I couldn't imagine what it feels like to be nagged by you. And I will try my best to avoid that.

Please just promise me one thing. Just come back home safely. I will be needing that ribbon back after all. So please return home safely.

Sincerely,
Juliette.

Jake laughed at her message and could not stop grinning like a child receiving a gift. Johnny furrowed his eyebrows, "Your Grace, is everything alright? Did Lady Juliette say something funny?"

"She wants me to return home! To her!" The Duke exclaimed happily as he held the letter close to his chest.

Johnny watched as he ran back to the site all giddy and cheerful. He was amazed at how a simple letter from Juliette was able to make the Duke bounce off the walls.

As they both reached the site, everyone was minding their business. Some were marching, some were jogging and some were talking to their comrades.

Suddenly, Jake inhaled a strong smell of smoke, frowning as he looked for where it came from. He raised an eyebrow when he saw a group of unfamiliar soldiers lighting up a tank.

Johnny widened his eyes when he realised it was a bomb and pulled Jake towards him, "Your Grace!"

A few of the tents exploded and numerous bodies of the soldiers were flung out. Jake coughed as he accidentally inhaled a lot of smoke. Johnny held him closely as he tried to pull the Duke away from the fire.

"Johnny, search for Viscount William!"

"But Your Grace–"

"Just do it!" He ordered sternly and watched as the young soldier sprinted through the fire, searching for the Viscount.

He stood up and ran from tent to tent, searching for his other comrades but there was no use. Most of them were burnt and dead.

"Major! Enemies are invading the site! What do we do?" A group of soldiers came to him with guns, waiting for the next order.

"I need some of you to find Viscount William. And the rest of you, kill all the enemies you find here. If any unfamiliar soldiers are wearing our attire, shoot them as well."

The soldiers saluted him before carrying out the plan. Jake began searching for Juliette's father, holding his gun tightly to shoot any of the enemies that entered his sight.

A gunshot filled the air and he winced in pain when a bullet was shot into his shoulder. He turned around and saw an enemy aiming his gun at him. He immediately shot the man and watched as the man fell to the ground, bleeding.

Promise me one thing...

Please return home safely...

Juliette's words kept repeating in his mind as he tried his best to search for her father. He prayed to God for the safety of the Viscount as he quickly sneaked through the tents.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Juliette sat at her desk, sketching in her book. She took a deep breath and pulled her hand away, seeing her drawing of the Duke in his army attire. Just how she remembered when she saw him board the military vehicle for the expedition.

She looked at the moon from her window, the full moon shining brighter than before. Her heart ached as if she knew something bad was happening at the site.

She clasped both of her hands and closed her eyes, praying to God for her father's safety, and the Duke's as well.