twenty-four

Juliette inhaled some fresh air as she sauntered in the forest, admiring the beautiful nature upon her. She tightened her grip around the sling of her satchel, looking up at the blue sky when suddenly rustling sounds filled the air. She instantly turned around with widened eyes, feeling her heart pounding as if it were about to burst.

The bushes moved for a while, making her back away in fear. To her surprise, a hare hopped out with a curious head tilt. Her lips curved into a small smile as she crouched to take a closer look.

The hare approached her with a peculiar head tilt once again, knowing she wouldn't cause it any harm. Footsteps approached their spot, earning their attention. The hare did not make any attempts to move.

Juliette furrowed her brows and turned to look, seeing the Duke and his men standing before her, aiming their guns. She immediately got up and stood in front of the hare, motioning for it to leave.

"You're blocking the way!" One of Jake's men yelled out of annoyance. Jake put up a hand, telling him to be silent. He took a step closer towards her, "What are you doing here?"

"Please don't kill it," she ignored his question and begged. "How many animals have you killed today?"

"Five," he answered bluntly before aiming his gun back at the hare. She took a deep breath and gathered her courage before approaching him once more.

His eyes widened when she touched his gun. "What the hell are you doing?" He asked with a clenched jaw of irritation.

"I'm not going to let you kill it."

Her answer earned a mocking scoff from him and his men. He pulled his gun away and raised a brow, "Why? It's just a hare."

"Just let it go. Have mercy on it."

"I can do whatever I want in my forest. I own this place. All the animals belong to me."

She scowled and tiredly lowered her gaze. He chuckled out of amusement and looked away, crossing his arms, "Which surprises me why you're still here."

He took a step closer and tilted her head to make sure she was facing him. She looked at him in disbelief before slapping his hand away, "This is a cruel sport, Your Grace."

"Why do you care so much about that mere animal? It won't survive anyway, even if we let it go. All the predators in the forest will hunt it down instead."

Juliette stared deeply into his eyes, resisting the urge to poke his eyeballs out. "At least its fate would be natural that way, rather than being hunted and killed by humans. It should have a chance to survive."

"Why do you care so much?" He felt annoyance rising in him as he ran his fingers through his hair. She sighed and fixed the satchel around her, "It's the right thing to do. Humans shouldn't just go around killing innocent animals."

He smirked before bursting into laughter. She glowered and wondered why he gave her that kind of reaction. He glanced at his men, motioning them to leave. Now it was just the two of them in the lonely forest.

She fixed her posture anxiously and waited for what he had to say. "What makes you think you have a say in anything I do?" Jake asked bluntly but the words seemed to have pierced her.

They were direct and sharp. And it made her wonder why she expected him to listen to her. "I don't..." she trailed off and lowered her head.

He groaned out of annoyance and held both of her shoulders, "What the hell are you doing? Look at me when you're talking. Are you going to keep being a coward?"

"What?" She looked at him in disbelief before pushing his hands away.

"I asked you some simple questions and you suddenly feel less confident to answer? Then, how are you going to defend yourself when people like Clarissa or Jay choose to confront you?"

"You can't tell me what to do–"

"Oh yeah? You are a coward, Juliette. That is why Clarissa pushes you around."

"Do you have a mental illness or something? Why are you suddenly scolding me like a crazy bastard?" She argued back.

"This is why no one takes you seriously," he rolled his eyes and turned away to leave. She stood behind him before yelling, "I should've never prayed for your return. Maybe it would be best to not care at all. I should've just ignored you. Praying for your return was a mistake," she bumped into his shoulder on purpose and walked ahead, leaving him behind.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Duchess Eleanor took a deep breath before taking a seat on the sofa. She faced the girl in front of her with a nervous smile. "Clarissa," she called politely, "Please forgive my son for all the embarrassing things he did."

"I don't mind, Your Grace. I understand how hot-headed and stubborn he can be. After all, we have been friends ever since we were little. I'm used to it."

"What brings you here?" The Duchess asked as she poured the young girl some tea. Clarissa chuckled and thanked her before sipping the drink.

"I am determined to marry him, Your Grace. I wish to be his wife."

Lady Eleanor's eyes widened in shock upon hearing the request. She tittered awkwardly before placing her teacup on the table.

"It is up to Jake to decide, Clarissa."

"Juliette Anderson is a bad candidate for a wife, Your Grace. You have known me for years already. And I'm sure you agree for me to be the next Duchess of this household. Jake doesn't even love her but rather sees her as an object. As a prize to flaunt as a victory."

"I can't say anything more, Clarissa. Jake has made up his mind to pursue Juliette Anderson. As much as I dislike it, it would just cause trouble if I were to stop him."

"You do not need to worry, Your Grace. I'll be the next Duchess. I'm sure of it," Clarissa held Lady Eleanor's hands as an assurance. The corner of her lips curved into a smirk as she sipped her tea again.