twenty

Juliette pressed the keys on her piano continuously, staring blankly at the music sheet in front of her. She breathed out heavily and closed her eyes as she felt her chest heavy. Something was not right and she knew that.

She rested her head on the piano and continued pressing the same key over and over again. The doors to the living room opened, revealing her maid with a letter in her hand.

"Lady Juliette, there's a letter for you."

She immediately jumped from her seat and ran to the servant before taking it. Her eyebrows furrowed when she noticed it was from neither her father nor Jake. It was from a man named Johnny.

"You may go," she said to the servant and heard the doors being shut behind her. She carefully tore the envelope and began reading the letter with a frown.

Dear Lady Juliette,

I am His Grace's right-hand man. I am writing you this letter to deliver His Grace's message as he is in a critical condition right now. A group of enemies invaded our site and blew up numerous bombs.

His Grace tried his best to search for your father and managed to save him. But he was shot and sat too close to another bomb that was hidden next to a tent near him. His Grace had ordered me to bring your father back home as it is important to you.

And he told me to inform you that you do not have to send him letters anymore as he believes he may not have a chance to live. He wishes for you to keep his watch as a memory of him but if you ever feel the need to sell it, he is fine with it.

Sincerely,
Johnny.

Juliette gasped and cupped her mouth in disbelief. Her eyes formed tears as she read the letter over and over again. She was supposed to be happy her father was safe and was coming home. But why did she feel so anxious and worried? Perhaps she wished for the Duke to come home as well?

Her hand trembled as it tightened the grip around the paper. The doors opened again, this time revealing the prince. She scowled at his presence and sighed, "Your Highness."

"Are you alright, Juliette? What's wrong? What happened?" Jay rushed towards her and held both of her shoulders. He felt worried upon seeing her teary eyes.

She gently pushed his hands away before avoiding his gaze. He hesitantly backed away, waiting for whatever she had to say.

"What are your intentions when you sent His Grace on an expedition?" Juliette's question caught him by surprise.

His lips fell into a frown. He sighed before taking a seat on the sofa. She stood and froze, watching how he relaxed himself while still maintaining his posture.

"He is simply doing his job as a soldier."

"Were you hoping for him to die so that he would not be in your way?"

"He must serve the kingdom. If he dies, then he is just unlucky," he bluntly responded. "Why do you care so much? Don't you want him dead?"

Juliette stayed silent and lowered her head. Her silence was enough to make Jay scoff in disbelief. "Don't tell me you're in love with him. Do you?"

She widened her eyes and grimaced at how sudden the prince's change of attitude was. It felt as if she was a prize the Duke and him were fighting for. She felt like an object.

"Are you really friends with him to be saying all of these things, Your Highness?"

"Friends?" He exhaled and hummed in response, "Our friendship ended once he tried to court you at the promenade."

She grimaced once more before looking away, "I will never accept your confession, Your Highness. I do not wish to be associated with you or any of your friends. So you should stop treating me as if I am an object willing to be pushed around."

"I don't mind you rejecting me, Juliette. But I will not stop sending Jake to war until death finally meets him. If I can't have you, he shall not as well."

She widened her eyes at his sudden words and watched as he bowed slightly at her before taking his leave.