thirty-one

"Your Highness, His Majesty is busy right now. We weren't expecting your visit today," the royal butler said with a surprised expression. Jay furrowed his brows frustratingly before rubbing his temples. "Let me see my father."

The butler sighed in exasperation before opening the doors to the King's office. Inside, the King had his attention fixed to the papers on his desk. "Get out, whoever you are."

"It is me, Father."

"I'm quite busy now, son. Another time?"

"I have a very important thing to tell you. It's about Viscount William."

Finally, the King lifted his face from the papers to look at his son. His expression was as frowning as ever, wondering what could have happened. "Why? Did he kill someone again?"

The memory of the assassin's head sent by the Duke was so fresh in the Prince's mind, it made him shudder internally. He fixed his posture and took a step closer to the desk.

"I've found the real culprit who killed General George."

The King dropped his pen in shock, widening his eyes. "You're not lying to me, are you? This is not something to play with."

"No. Technically, Jake found the culprit. He investigated the Viscount's whereabouts and interactions."

"Thank goodness we have Jake, right?" His Majesty exhaled in relief before grinning like a proud uncle he was. Jay could not help but feel slightly irritated hearing his father praising the Duke, acting as if he was a saint.

"Well, that's just how he is. Whatever, Father. You may release Viscount William now."

"Yes, we should hurry with that. His family must have been anxious and worried."

The Prince nodded once and turned to leave, hearing the doors close behind him.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Juliette sat by the window nook, waiting upon her father's arrival, just like every day. She hit her head gently against the window and stared at the gates with a blank expression. Her mother was sitting in the living room with her, looking as pale as ever.

The doors suddenly burst open, "My lady! The Viscount is home."

Lady Jane immediately sprung off the sofa before running to the front door. All the other servants were standing in the driveway with full anticipation and teary eyes. The Viscountess clasped her hands together and stood at the front, watching a car driving in.

A palace guard bowed to her before opening the backseat door, revealing a ragged-looking Viscount. The guard helped him get onto a new wheelchair gifted by the royal family.

"William!" Lady Jane ran to her husband as she pulled him into her embrace tightly in case he ever left her again. Juliette finally walked out of the house and ran to her father.

"Dearest!" Viscount William exclaimed with a broken voice as he pulled his daughter for a hug as well. Juliette was stunned as she couldn't process her feelings at the moment. Should she cry? Should she cheer? Should she scold him? She did not know.

"It's alright, dearest. You don't have to show your feelings. All that's important is you both are in my arms right now."

Juliette felt her tears finally coming out and buried her face into her father's shoulder. The servants watched them with a touched smile, some wiping the tears that escaped.

"If it isn't for His Grace's help, I would've stayed in the dungeon. We should gift him something, as a sign of gratitude," the Viscount said before pushing himself towards the entrance of the house.

"The Duke freed you? He did all this?" Lady Jane asked with widened eyes before looking at her daughter.

"His Grace promised to help us, Mother."

The peaceful night finally came after disappearing itself for a few weeks. Juliette sketched the view of her manor in her book, hearing the servants closing the door behind her to give her some privacy.

The memory of Jake embracing her suddenly flashed in her mind. Her cheeks reddened as she stabbed the tip of her pencil deep into the papers. "It's nothing. It's a friendly gesture. It must run in his family," she assured herself.

After a while of continuing to sketch, she heard pebbles being thrown at her window. Her first thought was a ghost which scared her. She hesitantly approached the window and opened it, seeing the Duke instead.

"Your Grace! What the hell are you doing?" She asked in a hushed tone. She wanted to curse him out but was afraid her status and life would be harmed. That was what normally happened among nobles with lower status anyway.

Jake did not seem to mind. His lips curved into a smirk, "Don't you think you owe me, Juliette?"

"What?"

"Your father is back safe and sound."

She glanced at the door in her room before looking back at him, "You are right, Your Grace."

"Then, would you do me the honour and climb down? I want to bring you somewhere."

"You're crazy! It is very inappropriate for an unmarried maiden to sneak out with a man!"

"No one needs to know."

"It's way high up!"

He chuckled and opened his arms, "I'll catch you. Do not worry."

A small smile crept up to her lips as she watched him.