Chapter 14: disastrous revelations

The three girls accompanied Israh down the stairs. She took a moment to take a deep breath before entering the living room, Tamannah's hand coming to squeeze her arm reassuringly.

The chatter died down immediately, everyone's eyes on her. Jamal bhai was grinning up at her from where he sat beside abbu, ammi next to him. Bhabhi had Mariam on her lap and Hamza had hurried over to Israh holding her hand shyly.

She smiled down at him and held his hand tighter, as ammi urged Jamal to sit elsewhere so Israh could sit between her parents instead. She didn't dare look up at Asad, but she smiled at the other two people she hadn't yet met.

Ammi had told her that Asad's maamu and maami would be attending the function, so she expected them but between the jitters and jokes she'd forgotten they'd be here.

She was now a little more familiar and less awkward with her future in-laws, but these new people made her self-conscious. She was hyper aware of their gazes on her, of how she sat and smiled and looked around.

"MaShaAllah boht pyaari hai aapki beti." (Your daughter is very pretty) The Maamu spoke. Israh didn't remember his name, but she quickly glanced up at him to acknowledge the compliment, before returning her gaze to her fidgety fingers on her lap.

"Aur acchi qismat bhi. Humaara Asad hai hi itna accha." (And she is lucky too. Our Asad is just so nice)

That felt like a weird, backhanded compliment slash comment from the maami, and Israh sneaked up a glance at Asad. He looked so dapper and well put-together. His near-golden eyes stunned her, and when he leaned toward his mother to whisper something into her ear, Israh couldn't tear her eyes off his lips. They were perfect.

And kisseable.

Nicely moisturised.

If Israh could facepalm herself right now at that ridiculous thought, then she would. Instead, she straightened up in her seat and caught her friends' eyes. All three of them watched her knowingly, and she blushed because they'd seen her inappropriate stare on Asad's mouth, and they wouldn't let her live it down for another second.

"Nazar neeche." (Gaze down) Aliya mouthed at her with a stern gaze. She'd always been like the mother of the group and today was not an exception.

Israh sighed and did as told, but she was getting impatient now. Everyone was just talking amongst each other, and she was just sitting between them awkwardly.

Her eyes betrayed her, and she looked up at Asad again, seeing how he looked more anxious than her. His gaze was troubled as he chewed on his bottom lip, his knee bouncing up and down as if restless.

She wondered whether he was having second thoughts, whether he was thinking about the other girl, whether he really was sure about this relationship or not. If he wasn't then she hoped he said so right now, because once the engagement was done, there was no turning back.

Yes, it wasn't marriage, but an engagement was still a big deal in her family and society. Israh would be deemed suspicious if her engagement broke. Everyone would be tuning in for the gossip and rumours would grow like wildfire. A fire that'd taint her, kill her.

After all that went down with the Aneesa scandal and how bitter the situation between Jamal bhai and his wife was, a broken engagement was not something her parents would be able to bear.

He hasn't even looked at me, she thought.

"Humaari Hafsah agr last minute manaa naa krti to..." (if our Hafsah didn't refuse at the last minute then...) His maamu trailed off from a conversation that Israh was just now focusing on.