Chapter 14

They made it through dinner and a few hours of playing cards with some Mafia and family members, but the storm still wouldn't let up.

"We gotta go now, Elvis," Carol Ann finally said.

Lightning came again with a dry growl, a more intense flash of power.

The only response she got from Elvis was a firm shake of his head.

"Grandma don't know where we are," AJ told his father. Carol Ann refrained from shooting him a look but silently cursed his inability to shut up at times.

"She don't know, huh? Well, then why don't you call her up and let her know so she don't gotta worry herself to death."

"Because you know who we're talking about," Carol Ann said. "She'd drive herself over and knock your door down."

"Couldn't get herself through the gate," Elvis shot back. When Carol Ann turned to look at him, his gaze was full of amusement that only increased upon catching her expression.

"It's not funny," Carol Ann snapped.

"Aw, Carrie just-"

"We can't spend the night here."

"And why is that? There's guest rooms and a great little room for AJ. You can't go out there in that damn-"

"Child over there," Carol Ann cut him off. The child in question burst out laughing, nearly tumbling over the couch as he threw his body down on the surface.

"Still not goin' out there," Elvis said firmly. "If anything happened to either one of you, you know I'd never forgive myself."

"Nothin' would happen, honey. I promise. I drove in worse than that."

"I wanna stay," AJ offered, despite knowing that his opinion would not influence the adults decision.

"What are you gonna do if I walk myself over to that door?" Carol Ann asked.

"Throw you over my shoulder and carry your right back in," Elvis offered, making AJ laugh yet again. "You know that I could. You ain't more than five feet tall."

"Yes, I am."

"Not by much," Elvis shot back, sticking his tongue out at her. AJ broke out in another fit of giggles when she returned the gesture.

"Elvis, you're makin' my mama act silly," AJ exclaimed. Elvis dragged the boy off the couch and onto the floor, engaging in a play fight.

"Mama!" AJ yelped in between gales of laughter. "Mama, help me."

Carol Ann couldn't help but smile at the interaction. She waited a few moments before deciding to take some pity on AJ. "Alright Elvis, now leave him alone or he's gonna have an accident."

"I won't!" AJ protested. "Not anymore."

"Really?" Elvis drew out. "You sure?"

"Elvis," Carol Ann sighed.

"What? Just call your mother and let her know you're here and you ain't comin' home."

It wasn't as though there was a choice, so she resigned herself to her fate. "Should I use the phone in the kitchen?" Carol Ann asked, reluctance coloring her tone.

"Yes, ma'am," Elvis said. "I'll help the boy get ready for bed in the meantime."

"It's not time yet," AJ complained.

"Yes, it is," Carol Ann said. She made him go to bed at 8.30 during the school year (though he always spend an additional hour reading in bed) and while he did stay up significantly longer now in summer, it was mostly because he refused to go to sleep while the sun was still out. He was bouncing off the walls when he came back inside after playing with the neighbors children for another few hours after supper. Louann insisted that all he needed was a good spanking, but Carol Ann begged the differ. It wasn't as though she hadn't disciplined her boy in such a way before, but she was choosing her battles carefully and AJ staying up a bit too long during the summertime was hardly worth it.