Chapter 17

Carol Ann pulled her jacket closer around her frame as a cool breeze shifted through the air. Fall had truly come and with it the falling of leaves and the swift drop in temperature. Elvis, who was seated beside her, noted the action and responded by wrapping an arm around her shoulder and pulling her to him for warmth.

She watched as AJ continued to rake leaves into a large pile while his horse stood tied to a tree, patiently waiting for him to finish.

"Think he's really gonna do it?" Elvis asked with a chuckle.

"Why wouldn't he? He's your son and you're always teachin' him all kinds of nonsense."

"Hey, you're only a kid once."

"And you've sure been one for a real long time."

Elvis demonstratively moved away from her. "If you're gonna be like that I ain't gonna keep you warm."

"Hey, Elvis," AJ called. "Can you help me untie Calamity? I think I tied her too good."

Elvis made his way over, putting on a fake cowboy swagger only to make his son laugh. Carol Ann followed at a slower pace, making it there just as Elvis' fingers began to unwind the knot. Carol Ann found herself chuckling at the way he suppressed the urge to curse due to their son's presence.

"Why don't you try?" Elvis suggested. "You got smaller fingers."

And try she did. Having had enough practice with AJ's shoelaces, she eventually did managed to loosen it enough to free the horse but not without significant effort. "Do us a favor and don't tie her next time? She ain't gonna run away."

"But you have to tie your horse up when you're off doin' somethin'. Like a real cowboy." AJ swung himself onto the horses back with practiced ease. He took riding lessons every week now while continuing to come to Graceland every day to muck out, care for and ride his horse. The pride Carol Ann felt was overwhelming, because she would have never thought that her little boy was ready for such responsibility.

Graceland was much like his own personal theme park. As of late he had been asking about bringing over friends from school and around the neighborhood but neither Carol Ann nor Elvis were ready to reveal their involvement to the world.

They would have to eventually, if they were going to marry, but Elvis wasn't even officially divorced from Priscilla. The backlash that would surely come if anyone found out that they were seeing each other now would just be too much. Of course AJ didn't understand; it was easier to tell him that his friends parents probably wouldn't agree since they did not know Elvis.

"Wanna watch me?" AJ called from his horse's back.

"Sure," Elvis said. He threw an arm over Carol Ann's shoulder and led her to stand a few paces from the pile of leaves.

"You ready?"

Elvis laughed. "Just ride into the pile already, boy."

"Will you just let your son have some fun?" Carol Ann scolded.

"I always let my son have fun. You're the one who is callin' everything dangerous."

"What you do with those golf carts is dangerous. Lettin' a ten year old boy drive your car is dangerous."

"Oh come on, I didn't actually let him drive. It was on Graceland property. Besides that, your brothers were probably drivin' tractors and lawn mowers when they were his age."

"That was on a farm. I get sick sometimes thinkin' about the things we did, things our parents let us do."

"You're not watchin' me," AJ accused, waiting until their eyes were on his figure yet again.