Chapter 15

The rest of the summer passed by fast. Elvis was gone more often than he was not. He sent AJ post cards from the road and while he didn't manage to call every day, he did on most though at times it seemed as though they didn't have much to say to each other. Louann had been reduced to mostly pouting rather than putting up a fight. They skated around the issue, somewhat of an unspoken agreement that could not be broken without dire consequences. But still, Louann wrinkled her nose and left the room when Elvis called. Some days AJ would speak to him, on others he would refuse for unknown reasons.

AJ would return to school the following week. Elvis insisted upon giving Carol Ann a ridiculous amount of money for school clothes. She spend maybe a quarter, still going for the bargains as it was so ingrained into her to. She put the rest of it in the bank for AJ, knowing that trying to return even a few cents to Elvis would result in an unnecessary fight.

When Elvis called on a Wednesday evening, the first thing she asked was, "Where are you?"

"Texas. How are my babies?"

He asked that every time. She ought to be used to it by now, but somehow it still made her blush. "We're just fine. How about you?"

"I had a matinée today and in a while there's another show."

"Honey, you work too hard," Carol Ann said, not liking the hint of exhaustion she heard in his voice.

"I just give it my all the way I've always done. I did when we met."

"You were in your twenties then."

"Don't you call me old. I'm very insulted."

Carol Ann smiled to herself, because his chuckle told her otherwise.

"I just saw my Lisa Marie." Elvis changed the subject. "Asked about AJ too."

"Those two sure didn't see each other in some time."

"Cilla is bringing her down here for a bit when I get back for the weekend. And I was thinkin' that maybe we'll have a little pool party. A end of summer thing, you know?"

"That sounds good."

"You not working that weekend?"

She hated the way he said it. The way someone else might say rape or war or something equally detestable.

"No," she said pointedly. "I don't work near as much as you do, sir."

"Carrie," Elvis forced out. "Don't you get like that."

"We talked about it so many times and I told you how-"

"Okay," Elvis cut her off, his voice raising above hers. "Think you can get AJ on the phone with me?"

She glanced over toward the kitchen, where AJ was helping her mother with the side dishes for dinner. "Sure," she said to Elvis before calling, "AJ?"

The boys head snapped up. "Huh?"

"Guess who's on the phone?"

Louann expelled a sigh so loud, Carol Ann could swear that she'd heard it across the distance between them. "Of course it's him."

"Can I talk to him?" AJ asked quietly.

"Of course," Carol Ann told her son firmly before Louann could open her mouth.

"Don't let me stop you," Louann muttered, letting her mood out on the pot of string beans in front of her. "Don't look at me like that," she said in response to Carol Ann's expression. Carol Ann didn't speak, just let a hand skim over AJ's head as he came over and grabbed the phone.