Chapter 18

It seemed as though the entire week was one mad rush to get ready for their faux Thanksgiving at the ranch- but Carol Ann knew that it would all be worth it the moment she arrived at Graceland and saw Elvis' smiling face. He was leaning against the rented truck, little Lisa Marie beside him. Why Priscilla had decided that it was just fine for Lisa to come to the ranch with them but not for Carol Ann and AJ to join them on actual Thanksgiving Day Carol Ann would never know. Nor did it matter to her, because Lisa's enthusiasm was obvious. They would brave the drive by themselves this time, though someone was to trail them and of course the usual security detail would surround the ranch. Lisa ran forward to greet them before Elvis could and immediately offered to help when Carol Ann mentioned that things would need to be transferred to the truck.

Elvis finally strode over, grasped Carol Ann's face in between his hands to place a smacking kiss on both cheeks as well as her lips. It took her aback this time, because although they had silently agreed not to hide their relationship from AJ, Lisa was a whole different ballgame- at least that was what Carol Ann had assumed.

Carol Ann was the first to speak following his public display of affection. "There's a turkey in a bucket of ice water back there."

Elvis burst out laughing, causing Carol Ann to roll her eyes while both the children frowned in confusion.

"Why's that funny, Daddy?" Lisa's little voice rang.

"It ain't," Carol Ann told her. "Don't you kids worry about it, it's just that your daddy didn't really believe me when I said that we could be doing Thanksgiving out at the ranch."

"So I get to have Thanksgiving twice?" Lisa asked.

"Sure do." Elvis ruffled her hair in passing, then repeated the same process on AJ before walking over to Carol Ann's truck to open the trunk and reveal said turkey. "Oh, the buckets got a lid on it."

"Of course it's got a lid on it," Carol Ann confirmed in exasperation. "Did you think that I didn't know that water would spill all over the place if there wasn't a lid on it?"

"I don't know."

"Well, I ain't stupid," Carol Ann shot back. AJ released a little chuckle at her words and she found herself marveling at how far they had come, because not too long ago her son would have felt the need to defend her. All the hostility and mistrust was gone now- AJ no longer considered Elvis an enemy but rather a partner in crime.

AJ and Lisa carried bags back and forth without having to be prompted while Elvis hefted the turkey bucket.

"So real Thanksgiving, huh?"

"You bet," Carol Ann confirmed yet again. "I'm even makin' your son wear a nice shirt."

"Does my son want to wear a nice shirt?" Elvis asked, laughing through his question.

"No," AJ's disembodied voice called from the backseat of the car, where he had made himself comfortable beside Lisa, who was leafing through a children's book left out for her entertainment.

"Will you read to me?" Lisa begged, eyes so wide and hopeful that it was impossible for AJ to deny her request despite his reluctance.

He eyed the book with a look of distaste, proclaiming, "You need some better books, Lisa."

"This is a good book! Daddy, tell him-"

"Of course it's a good book," Elvis cut in. "You sure you're not gonna get sick from reading back there?" Elvis directed his question toward AJ, who shrugged.

"He always reads in the car," Carol Ann said.

"Is that a pie?" Lisa squealed, pointing out the pie carrier Carol Ann was in the process of carrying over to the truck.