Chapter 19

Carol Ann woke, the first thought that went through her mind being why she was in a semi upright position. Then she inhaled the unique smell of Elvis Presley and settled herself into his comfortable arms again. She didn't know how much time had passed, whether she just dozed off for a few minutes and slept until morning. Her eyes refused to open for she wasn't ready to face the world. She listened to the slow, erratic but yet perfect sound of Elvis' breathing and next thing she knew sleep overtook her once again.

When she woke again, it was to the sound of giggles. A small hand plucked at her sleeve causing her eyes to flutter open. In front of her stood AJ and Lisa in their bed headed glory.

"Can we watch TV?" AJ asked while Lisa relied on her pleading eyes and stuck out bottom lip.

"Once your father wakes up," Carol Ann told them, rubbing hands over her bleary eyes to try and shake off the last vestiges of sleep before focusing on Elvis. "Elvis?"

He groaned when her fingers brushed over his hair and cheeks.

"El-vis," Lisa repeated while pulling on his sleeve.

"You don't call him that," AJ pointed out.

"You neither," Lisa shot back before diving into her father's lap, efficiently causing him to come to life.

"Lisa Marie," he grumbled, making the little girl freeze.

"Not me," Lisa tried. "AJ did-"

"I didn't," AJ protested. Elvis began to moan, groan and stretch, displaying perfectly his lack of a morning personality.

"We get ready while they watch some cartoons?" Carol Ann suggested.

"Fine." He drew the word out then got to his feet in slow motion, depositing Lisa on the couch in the process. "And you watch TV," he told the children. AJ wasted no time turning on the TV and then bouncing onto the couch beside Lisa.

"You come with me," Elvis whispered when they were just out of their offspring's earshot.

"We don't have no time for that," Carol Ann said. "We gotta get started on that turkey. It's noon already and that thing takes hours to cook."

"I hate turkey."

"You do not."

"But I don't like it so much that I wouldn't rather..." he trailed off. In the end they went off to separate bathrooms. When they returned, AJ and Lisa were munching on dry cereal with their eyes on the TV.

"Elvis, will you get the turkey," Carol Ann asked. Elvis pulled a sour face in response, but did. Once they took up residence in the kitchen, Lisa came running over, little hands gripping at the counter as her eyes took in everything. Elvis grabbed her under her armpits and swung her up onto the counter, where she watched silently for a few minutes.

"What are you shoving up his butt?" Lisa asked, then frowned when Carol Ann and Elvis laughed at her perfectly serious question.

"It's stuffing," Elvis said. "You like stuffing, right?"

There was some hesitation but eventually she did nod her head. "Can I shove it up his butt?"

Elvis eyed first the turkey, then his small daughter. "Honey, I don't know if your little hands can get it up there."

"Elvis, she wants to help," Carol Ann scolded.

With her bright blue eyes as wide as they could go, Lisa Marie looked like a little blonde angel, gorgeousness etched into every plane of her face. Carol Ann would have liked to have a daughter too. She silently berated herself for dwelling on things that weren't meant to be and set Lisa onto her feet.