Chapter 4 | A Meeting Most Cold

Wrynn wasn't there when I went down for dinner. In fact, no one was. The dimly lit dining room stood eerily empty, and I found myself trying desperately to make as little noise as possible, though I couldn't quite say why I felt the need to.

Dressed in light blue – an item I'd found in my wardrobe; I had enquired as to everyone else's whereabouts from the footman. This time I was sure it was the same one who had helped me down from the carriage earlier, he had the same aged face and wiry hair.

Wrynn would be along later, he had said.

I daren't ask about the king's whereabouts – not when I'd only just arrived, I had more sense than that. Though I couldn't deny I was painfully anxious to meet him – the man to whom I would be married.

Sighing, I sat down at one end of the long banquet table. Food quickly appeared in front of me, the server gone too soon for me to get a proper look at their face.

How unusual it all was. Dining alone. I couldn't remember a single night back at High Palace where I'd ever dined alone. There was always Father and once, before everything, there had been Mother, too. And if not them, fellow courtiers and distant cousins. The palace had always been abuzz with life.

But here, in Evenspire things felt... empty. Unnaturally so.

I ate in silence, the only noise the occasional clacking of my cutlery. Instinctively, I knew the footman stood quietly behind me, watching and waiting for any orders I might give him. I didn't turn around.

Somewhere the chiming of a clock sounded marking the passing of a half hour. Still, no one came.

Finally, I could bear it no longer. I turned to face the footman. Sure enough, he stood silently in the corner of the room – eyes fixed intently on me. As soon as I met his gaze, he looked away, down to the floor. Although I knew it must be breaking some protocol somewhere, it certainly would have at home, I had the sudden urge to ask him to sit with me. It was most unnerving being watched when you were the only two people in the room.

Come to think of it, she hadn't actually seen any other palace staff. Wrynn had mentioned a lady's maid, but I'd yet to see head nor hide of her. And still the question ran through my mind: where was everyone?

"Will you sit?"

The question seemed to take him by surprise, and he stiffened. I set my fork down, bracing on hand on the back of the chair as I twisted further still.

"Your highness?" His tone was uncertain.

"Will you have a seat? Oh, please do! It seems silly for you to have to stand there and watch me eat. There is no one else here to see. Have a little if you like too. Goodness knows I'll never eat all of this!"

I smiled what I hoped was a kind smile, though his eyes were still lowered, and I had no idea whether he'd actually seen it.

"That would be inappropriate of me, your highness," he said, not meeting my gaze.

I sighed, picking up my fork again and turned back to my plate. I took a long sip of water, at least, I think it was water. Well, I tried.

The silence stretched on and again I felt his eyes on the back of my head.

"Won't you at least tell me your name?" I spoke the question into the void in front of me. This time, I did not face him.

"Darin, your highness."

An answer! It almost took me by surprise, but I maintained my calm tone of voice as I spoke again.

"Darin..."