Chapter 9 | An Unexpected Journey

I blinked at him, unsure what reaction he was expecting.

Ignoring my stupor, Cassian glided past me with all the regal elegance of a king.

"Catch." He unhooked a bridle from a hook and tossed it at me.

I caught it – thankfully.

"You... you wish to go riding?" I stared at him.

There it was again. An almost smirk crossed his face. "It was your idea, Aurelia."

His tone was emotionless though I could have sworn, even from this distance there was something like amusement dancing in his eyes.

Was this his subtle attempt at a joke?

I wasn't sure, but at least he didn't seem angry at my failed midnight excursion. Or was that all part of his 'be nice to Aurelia' act?

Not meeting his gaze, I began tacking up the horse I now knew as Stella. Cassian, too, fell silent.

Once I'd finished, I glanced once again in Cassian's direction. He was watching me. Our eyes met. He did not look away.

"May I be of assistance?" He held out his hand.

I raised an eyebrow.

"Your horse" — he gestured toward Stella — "May I help you get up?"

Surprised, I merely nodded. He pushed off of the wall where he leant and started forward. He bent down. Well, knelt down, actually, one knee on the dusty ground.

"What are you doing? The ground is filthy."

He frowned up at me as if I had asked a stupid question. Had I? He made me doubt myself.

"Giving you a leg up. Here. You may step on my knee."

I glanced down at him. It felt good, I realised. Having the higher ground for once, usually he was a good head or so taller.

Sighing, I placed one hand in his and held the reins with the other. Trying to place as little weight on him as possible, I swung myself easily up onto Stella's back. The mare shifted, but ultimately didn't seem to mind my added weight.

It was only then that I realised I only had one free hand. Cassian still held the other. He was waiting, I knew he was. Waiting for me to look at him – I could feel his eyes burning into the side of my head.

Glancing to him, I saw that I was right. Blue eyes bored into mine.

"You are still holding my hand," he said.

Excuse him... he was still holding my hand.

I couldn't help it; I glared down at him. "Or is it that you are still holding my hand?"

His eyes seemed to narrow almost infinitesimally. "That is the question, isn't it, Aurelia?"

"Well hadn't you better let go now?" I hissed.

There! I didn't miss it; I was sure of that now. The corner of his Cassian's mouth twitched upward, ever so slightly. Was he finding this funny?

Still holding my gaze, he replied coolly, "Well, if you cannot, I suppose I must."

And with that infuriating final statement, he released me and stepped back, mounting his own horse with practised ease.

The warmth of his touch still lingered on my fingers – they seemed to tingle with the remnants of it. I shook it off, clicking Stella onward.

Out in the snow, the cold hit me again, washing away any warmth I had just felt. We trotted along, once again in silence.

I pulled Stella into step with Cassian's horse, unsure where we were going.