Chapter 8 | A Thaw In The Tension

Wrynn rounded on me as soon as the door slammed closed behind us.

"What were you thinking, Aure?"

His eyes were hard, unforgiving.

Was he angry that I'd disobeyed him? Or that I'd tried to leave? Or that I'd nearly died? Or that I'd almost gotten him killed?

It was impossible to tell.

"I... I'm sorry."

The words were automatic. The anger in his face, I didn't want to invoke it further.

What would Cassian say if he knew I'd tried to leave? Would he lock me away, prevent me from ever seeing sunlight again? Would he even care at all? Who knew? I certainly didn't.

Although I barely knew the man, what I'd seen of him so far didn't give me much hope for his character.

Wrynn didn't so much as spare me a glance now. Still leaning heavily on his sword, he turned away.

"Go to bed, Aure."

He climbed the staircase, one step at a time. I watched him. This powerfully strong man, limping up the stairs, faced adorned with scratches, defeat lacing his voice.

There was just something about it.

I hurried after him.

"I have questions!" I called after him.

"Go to bed, Aure." Wrynn repeated his earlier refrain.

Rolling my eyes, I picked my pace. How could I go to bed knowing that there was a dragon roaming the wilds?

A dragon, an actual dragon.

A dragon that had nearly killed me and nearly killed Wrynn.

That meant leaving was no longer an option then. At least not for now. I considered. But maybe, that wouldn't be so bad. I'd always loved a good mystery and Evenspire seemed to be the very embodiment of the word – the mere existence of a dragon only served to amplify that.

I glared at Wrynn's retreating figure. For someone with a limp, he moved at an exceptional pace down the hallway, sword scratching at the bare floorboards as he did so. I followed silently now – missing the turning which would lead to my own quarters.

If Wrynn knew I was following him, he gave no indication, though surely, he must. His Captain of the Guard instincts must be strong, even now.

Eventually, he rounded a corner. So, did I.

And... bumped right into his glaring figure.

"Aure. Bed."

I looked up. His blue eyes were hard, almost like Cassian's expect his were of a duller blue than the king's. Maybe it was the lack of light, but shadows appeared to dance across the planes of his face, cast by the moonlight from a nearby window.

His directives were becoming shorter now. Could it be that I was wearing him down? Was he one step closer to revealing to me one of Evenspire's illusive secrets?

No.

In fact, possibly quite the opposite. In one swift motion, he stepped backward into an open doorway. In the dimness of night, I hadn't noticed it until now – too distracted by his harsh expression and stiff posture.

He watched me now from behind the almost closed door.

"Goodnight, Aure."

And with that, the door closed.

***

I had not, after my somewhat frosty goodnight with Wrynn, tried to escape again. Nor had I encountered any more dragons. I hadn't even encountered anymore people. Not even one of the servants.