Chapter 6 | The Last Straw

"I trust that you enjoyed your exploration of the palace grounds, Aurelia."

Cassian's eyes met mine over the top of his raised glass. He took a slow sip, holding my gaze, waiting for my answer.

He made no mention of his watching me out of the window. Thinking it wise, I chose to do the same.

"Yes, thank you. Wrynn was a wonderful guide." I glanced to the Captain of the Guard who sat silently opposite me, he met my gaze with a subtle nod.

Cassian, being at the head of the table was sat to my left. Out the corner of my eye, though I saw his fist tighten ever so slightly around his glass, as he swirled his drink. I pretended not to have noticed.

What was that about?

"Was he..." the king's tone was careful, slow, contemplative. Almost as though he were fishing for more details without being overly obvious.

Still, Wrynn said nothing.

Unsure where to look anymore, I let my eyes fall down toward my plate and cut off a piece of what I think was chicken. I watched Cassian from lowered eyelashes.

"Indeed. I think I should like to see more of the gardens, tomorrow. Do you think you might accompany me, your—"

"Just Cassian, please." He interrupted me without so much as a glance.

I rolled my eyes, knowing that he wouldn't see.

Though clearly Wrynn had – he snorted, quickly covering it up with a cough.

Cassian looked up, eyes narrowing as he glanced between us.

"Something amusing, Wrynn?"

The king swirled his drink around in his glass in a most unbothered fashion but the ticking of the muscle in his jaw gave him away.

He was annoyed.

Annoyed that I had managed to make Wrynn laugh.

"No. No, your majesty. Just a bit of bone I think." Wrynn hurriedly picked up his napkin, pretending to correct the issue.

Cassian's eyes narrowed further still, I could have sworn, just for a second, they were darker. And then they were looking at me.

Those cold eyes, staring back at me. I struggled to hold his intense gaze.

"You had a question, I believe?"

Leaning back in his chair, he motioned for Darin to take his plate. The older man scurried forward. Cassian said nothing, entirely ignoring the fact that Darin was even there at all.

"Oh! I... Yes, I thought you might like to show me the gardens tomorrow, Cassian." I made sure to get his name right this time.

Darin appeared at my shoulder. "May I take your plate, princess?"

I looked up at him. "Yes, thank you."

"We do not thank the help."

My head snapped up.

Cassian was watching me coolly, those piercing blue eyes studying me.

I was indignant. The way he had phrased the word help made it seem as though he was talking about something stuck on the bottom of his shoe.

Unable to stop myself, I glared at him. "We most certainly do" — I turned to Wrynn — "If this was what you meant about your customs here being different to ours, I can quite see what you mean. Where I come from, politeness, even to those who work for us is common courtesy, your highness."